HT advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pedro Diaz, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

I hope you can help me choosing the best HT that I can afford.

I have a Tantus 29" flat TV with 2 component (Y,Pb,Pr)inputs and 2 svideo inputs. I also have a Samsung DVD player with 1 component (Y,Pb,Pr) output and 1 svideo output and 1 optical output.

I want to integrate those elements to a HTiB setup.

Right now, I have two options, the ONKYO S650 and the Kenwood 505. I have read a lot of reviews and I think the winner will be the ONKYO but I have a real questions.

If I have the 3 component cables (Y,Pb,Pr) that are going from my DVD player to my TV for signal, why should I connect a video cable to the amp in the ONKYO HTiB? What is this intended for?

Edit: Which configuration will be the best connection?

Thank you for your replies

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Pedro,

You wouldn't have to connect your video to the receiver.
    Some receivers switch the video signals from different sources (like a VCR and a DVD-player) along with the other signals, but if you have only 1 machine using the receiver, it isn't necessary.

A DVD contains the digital version of the S-VHS signal, so using that to connect to your TV would probably be excellent. A 3-component connection is fine too, but not a huge improvement and it also depends on the decoder: is the one in your player superior to the one in the TV or not.

Note (but you probably know this already): the "optical" connection is one of the options for the digital audio (from DVD-player to receiver).

Cees

3. Pedro Diaz

Pedro Diaz Agent

Cees,
    Thank you very much for your answer. It helped me a lot understanding the receiver function.
    As soon as I get the reciever I will post my impressions. [​IMG]

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Pedro,
    You're welcome [​IMG].
    By all means, let us know!
    Cees