HSU-VTF2 vs. Velodyne SPL-1000...which one?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ReggieW, Jun 24, 2003.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I would like to have some thoughts and insigths on anyone who owns/owned one or both of these subs. They are both ten inch subs and go down to 24hz. They both are well regarded but something tells me that the HSU MIGHT be the better bang for the buck item here. The Hsu will set me back $500.00 shipped and the Velo about $750.00 shipped. Is the Velo worth the extra $250.00? My system currently consists of PSB Stratus Minis for the mains and surrounds, Stratus C5 center, and a Denon AVR-3803 (which I just got to replace my AVR-1802). I also have a Sony SCD-C222es SACD changer and a Denon DVD-1600 DVD-A player. I will be adding a Rotel RMB-1075 this fall. I need to make a decision within a week so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Reg

2. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

Reggie,
    IMO those are 2 different animals. Velodyne makes a great product and the SPL series are amazing subs. The major draw to the SPL-1000 is going to be it’s relatively small size 12x12x13. If you’re limited by size you would be hard pressed to find a better unit. The SPL-1000 has 1500-watt amp that helps compensate for its size, but that little box has to work dam hard.
    If you don’t mind a little larger unit the CHT-12 (18x15x21) will give you a 12” driver, sells for less than $400 and gets great reviews. If HT is your primary focus that might be something to look at.

When I was first in the market for a sub I had strict limitations on dimensions and aesthetics (WAF) and came very close to purchasing the SPL-1200. Unfortunately, I have a fairly large room and had to accept the fact I needed a larger unit to get the results I wanted. After negotiating (WAF) I went with the Velodyne HGS-15. It gave me the best compromise of performance, size and aesthetics.

My .02

PS. I have the 3803 as well and love it.

3. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks Kevin,

I am looking for a unit that is small since I'm currently limited by space. This won't always be the case, so i may stretch the budget and consider the SPL-1200. Half of the subs use will be for music and the other half for HT. The VTF-2 isn't a huge sub either but I don't like the way it looks! I know this is somewhat shallow, but the Velo just looks so sleek by comparison, and that internal 750 watt amp ain't to shabby either. Is there anyone else out there who has compared the VTF-2 with the Velodyne SPL-1000 or 1200?

Reg