hsu-vtf2 or vel spl-1000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Fitz, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Rick Fitz

Rick Fitz Agent

Wanted to know if given a choice which would be the better sub. I do 75/25 ht/music. My room is 19x17 with 9' ceiling. Am using diva 4.1's and c3 with a pioneer 45tx. I could get the spl for about $150.00 more then the hsu. I've heard the spl but have not had any chance to demo a hsu. By the way i have all hardwood floors and except for a small rug, I don't have much choice at this time, but am working at it!

Thanks,
    Rick

Anybody have an extra pair or two of the diva 2.1's.

2. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Rick
    At 2900 Cubic feet you are going to want to go with a larger driver than a 10", 12" is better, but still is pushing it's limits.

I would suggest you look into something in the 15" range.

I am not sure what is limiting your choices. If budget is the constraint, my personal recommendation is to wait until you have the funds available for a sub more suited to your environment. Why spend the money now on something you will want to replace as soon as you get it.

3. Rick Fitz

Rick Fitz Agent

Budget is always a bit of restraint, but I would like something to hold me over. I can always sell it later. Or I can pick up one 10" or 12" now and get a 2nd one later. Would two 10" be enough?

Rick

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Driver size alone does not tell the whole story. The Hsu VTF-2 is quite a capable sub. In max output mode, you lose a little extension, but this thing will give some serious thump! I don't know the performance specs on that particular Vel, but the Hsu is right there w/ the Paradigm 2200, which is quite a bit more.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Alternatively, if you like the looks, the smallest powered SVS at $550 will be sure to please as well.

5. Rick Fitz

Rick Fitz Agent

Looked at the svs, but the waf made it a no go.