Hsu VTF-3 sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricHaas, Feb 2, 2002.

1. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Does anyone know anything about this new sub? It isn't listed at the Hsu Research website. But it is listed in 2 places on Audiogon. For example:
    http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ubw&1016684451
    The add says it is like VTF-2 with a 12" driver and a beefier amp. Sounds promising. Anyone have this sub yet, or hear any rumors about it? I am considering buying a sub in the $700 price range, and cannot get an SVS because the wife won't tolerate the size.

2. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Howdy,

The Vtf-3 retains the same musicality of the Vtf-2, while going lower (a fair bit lower actually... 18hz +/- 2dB) and louder (with a 250 watt amp I believe).

I didn't need it because I listen to 75% music (non pipe organ) and so I went for the Vtf-2, but if movies are your thing, and like to listen *loud*, then I doubt you would be dissapointed.

Cheers,

Mal

3. Dan Kaps

Dan Kaps Extra

Has it ever been mentioned if the cabinet will get bigger, or stay the same size, as the VTF-2?
    Dan
    www.heartlandcables.com

4. EricHaas

I don't see anything on the dimensions of the cabinet. I presume the website should have specs up soon though if this is being shipped in 1-2 weeks.

5. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

It is not out yet, but it was demoed at CES. It has a 250w amp, which Hsu already is selling as a standalone. Has the 2 ports with the plug, has higher output than the TN1220HO in high output mode. It is front firing, with rounded edge, and is bigger than the VTF-2.

What's interesting is the VTF-1. 12" driver with dual passive radiator, which could be tuned by screwing on weighted pucks onto its center. The only thing holding up the subwoofer is finding a good 1000 watt class-D amp, which all sounds terrible. Tripath's 1 x 1000w amp turned out to produce only 200w.

6. EricHaas

Does the VTF-3 have the same ugly finish as the VTF-2? That is the only thing I don't like about the VTF-2.

7. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

9. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The VTF-1 also had a lot of issues with the PRs a while back(2-3 years ago)...just goes to show you how long an idea might take to get right. I think some people think you can go from 1st proto type to product shipping in a few weeks[​IMG]
    >>>The only thing holding up the subwoofer is finding a good 1000 watt class-D amp, which all sounds terrible.

10. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

11. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>>class-D amps in the 1000w range that will not break the bank, which is what is holding up the VTF-1.>Maybe the Dr. is more particulate about the sound's amp

12. Sasha_G

Sasha_G Agent

Here are some exclusive pictures of the VTF-3. It is the same width as the VTF-2 at 16 inches. It is about 23 inches deep and 23 inches high. These are rough estimates. This thing is HEAVY. Something like 70 lbs. It requires a double box so FedEx won't damage it. Hsu Research ships these products for Blue Whale Audio. However, Hsu needs to get a hold of double boxes to avoid shipping damage before we can sell them direct. The VTF-3 will be available for mail order in two weeks, and is available for local sale in Los Angeles right now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

How much are the 3's going for? Is it significantly more than the VTF-2?

14. EricHaas

They're preordering in the vicinity of $750 at the moment, but I think they will street for quite a bit less in a couple months.

15. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i want to know how it compares with svs 20-39 pci...

16. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

That looks very nice. Thanks for the photos! [​IMG]

17. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

If it performs better than the VTF-2 in regards to going really deep and louder and if street price gets down to about $599.00, it should get interesting around here.

18. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

I read on another forum the pre-order price with delivery was $749.

19. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

It appears, if the box is 16" wide, that those are dual 4" ports, very impressive.
    Should allow amazing output in the 25Hz mode, and may be on par with the 1220 @ 20Hz, which did quite well with the old 250w amp/driver in this review. Seems to have more cabinet volume than the 1220, also, which would make for less required boost (although it seems not to effect the 1220 all that much) for flat response (possibly none at all for the 25Hz setting) for even more headroom.
    Looks like quite a deal at $750 just based on that, would like to see what Tom Nousaine comes up with.