Hsu VTF-2 users help newbie

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete_Jr, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Pete_Jr

Pete_Jr Stunt Coordinator

Well this is my first home theater sub and hopefully my last for awhile. I just received it yesterday and only had little time to play around with it. I have a few questions I hope some of you can answer.
    First, I noticed when I set the Level of the sub using my Denon 4800 test tone it is a rumble and my SPL meter jumps around alot so getting an accurate reading is difficult. Is there a better way of setting the level of the sub?(all speakers are 75db and the sub around 80db).
    Second, What kind of settings are you people using for music, and movies. I noticed when I switched to a cd say RUSH Tom Sawyer the bass lacked from where I had it set for the DVD movies and had to turn the volume on the back up. Am I going to have to do this whenever I want to switch from one to the other and recalibrate everytime? Also playing CD's should I flip the switch to 32hz and take the plug out?
    Do you leave your plug in during movies and what side? I know I probably have to hear what sounds best in my room but just like to hear what everyone is doing.
    Plus theres that crossover thingamajigger. Dr. Hsu said my receiver crosses at 80hz and to set the sub to out and level at 8 o' clock. Meaning set the crossover knob around 40 to 50 hz(correct?)
    Alright I'm ending this because I'm rambling now.
    One more thing do you have to keep turning it on and off or does it goto standby mode after a certain time.
    Thanks
    Pete

2. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

With the switch on the back of the sub to "out" the cross over dial is inactive so it does not matter where it is set. This is what you want so the receiver will handle the cross over duties not the sub. As Dr. Hsu recommended set all your speakers to small and the receiver will then send all sound under 80Hz to the sub and all over 80Hz to speakers. (yeah I know the 80Hz is not a brick wall but lets keep this simple for the moment). Experiment with volume and location for the sub. In my small room (11 x 13) I have the sound level on the HSU VTF 2 at 9 o'clock and it blends smeemlessly for music and HT. I have the switch on the back of the sub set to 25Hz and leave the plug in all the time, but I live in an apartment. If you want more slam for movies take the plug out and set the switch to 32Hz. This is for movies only, leave the plug in and switch to 25Hz for music. Hope this helps.
    Regards, Nick

3. Pete_Jr

Pete_Jr Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply.
    What about turning it on and off all the time. Is this necessary or is there a standby mode where I can leave it on or does this hurt the unit leaving it on all the time.
    Pete

4. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

The VTF 2 has an auto on and off feature so I leave the sub switched on all the time and let the auto switch take care of things.

5. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I love my Hsu VTF-2, I'm sure you will too!
    I agree with what Nick has said. I also leave my plug in all the time. I have my volume set at about the 10 o'clock position, which as actually a tad high, but I like that extra litte "umph" during movies.
    I have the plug on the side closest to the wall. The HSU is in a corner, right next to the couch. Whenever there is a strong Bass scene, I can feel the entire couch shake!
    The HSU is a lot of Subwoofer for the money!
    Enjoy!