HSU Vtf-2 or Vtf-3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mal P, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Hi there,

Unfortunately due to the expense of shipping and customs duty, SVS subwoofers aren't a viable option for me in my country (Australia). Thus, I've had to look at other high-quality alternatives such as HSU and Paradigm. The latter is very expensive here, but the former is quite reasonable.

I'm primarily a music listener, I listen to a lot of styles ranging from rock (Radiohead, U2, Slayer) to classical (London SO, Yo-Yo Ma) etc. Most of all, I listen at moderate levels, reference level is exponentially too high for me. Hence, whatever subwoofer I get won't need to go too deep, as there is very little musical content below 25hz (or so I've been told).

Do you think, for a listener such as I, that it's worth getting the HSU Vtf-3 over the Vtf-2? The Vtf-3 is supposed to extend down to 20hz, with the Vtf-2 being able to handle 25hz easily.

I'll be running my future speakers (most likely Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10s) as small in this setup. I just hope that for the few DVD movies I do watch, the Vtf-2 can cope with the bass from all channels.

Thank you,

Mal

2. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Has the VTF-3 been released yet? I don't think it has been released at least not in the US.

3. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Not only is the VTF-3 a larger sub, but it's gonna list at US$899 from what I've heard. One gets ya 20hz, the other 25. Now YOU'VE gotta decide what that last 5hz is worth to you. Good luck.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

If I were you, I'd definitely go with the VTF-2. I own one and, once broken in and fine tuned, it sounds great. If you listen at moderate levels, I just can't see justifying the 400+ extra dollars for the upcoming model, especially if you're on a budget. My Hsu is turned down at the volume control to around the 8:30 position on the dial and the sub setting on my Onkyo is at -10 dB's. The upcoming model must be a monster, but my vote is for the VTF-2.

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>> I don't have any experience with the SVS, but I can say for the $600 and change I spend on the TNO's I have a really audiophile grade subwoofer that competes favorably with the $2500 an up variety of Velodynes and others.>(And I suspect compete favorably with the SVS's - though we must say this quietly on this board).

6. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everyone. I guess hearing is believing... I'll listen to both types of subwoofer, as well as the TN series. See which I like. I'm not a big fan of the outboard amp aspect though...

In the end, I don't think I'll need the extra 5hz of extension. Not for twice the price. What I do need is musicality, and if the Vtf-3 or other model offers that to a degree higher than the Vtf-2, it'll then be worth the price.

Sincerely,

Mal