What's new

HSU vs SVS (1 Viewer)

Sean D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm quite curious actually. Barry's review convinced me to at least check them out. I suppose if I don't like them I can sell them and pick up a dual 20-39 CS+ with Samson S1000 setup. I hope the VTF's ship today.

Martice

Screenwriter
Sean. My son. All I can say is may the force be with you and the foundation your house sits on.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Welcome to the forum Chris_A_J. There are many people here that are curious about both of these subs. From what I have heard they are both fine subs. If, as mentioned, you are in a position to order both, demo, and send one sub back, that would be great indeed. Also as mentioned, the DIY option is a very viable one. Check the DIY/Advanced section of the forum for more info on this.

For the rest of you, try to help him out objectively, right? Stick to the facts and the topic at hand and let the moderators do the moderating.

Nico

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

Contact Sasha at bluewhaleaudio.com. He probably can give you a deal on dual VTF-3 for less than their combined retail. And again, with your budget, you owe yourself to audition these two awesome subs. Also, are you sure you need two subs?

Nico

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Chris:

I would definitely ask Tom or Ron about the PCi line. I personally like an active, vs. a passive, sub. I haven't read about anyone that has a dual PCi setup but I am sure you could work something out with them for a dual set up type of deal. Now THAT is something that I would like to hear in a room.

Also, like Nico said, are you sure you need two subs?

I also agree that having the subs sent to your house to audition them is your best bet.

Parker

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
It is my understanding that you can't go wrong with either of those choices. That said, a single VTF-3 would be no match for twin SVS's. Physics is physics. You may consider a pair of 1220's as a more fair comparison.

Both SVS and HSU have proven themselves to be competent manufacturers of high-quality subs. Point is, everyone has different tastes, different ears, different expectations, etc. Go with your gut. I don't think you can go wrong in this case. And as others have said, you can always send it back.

Kishu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kishore
I should also add Adire Audio's Dharman & VMPS Orig/larger sub(vmpsaudio.com) as another alternative :)
I donot think you will 'lose' by choosing any of these magnificent products mentioned in posts above- you will just have a smile plastered on your face when you hear them :)
Cheers,
Kishore

Chris_A_J

Grip
Thanks for all the response. I'm not sure my budget will allow me to test the two subs side by side and then send one back. I do prefer a powered sub as opposed to a passive one. I am not thrilled about the extra wiring and placement of the amp on the CS or CS+ series. The PCi route seems like a viable one for me. Any news on when the PCi+ series will be out and how much it will cost?

BTW, I'm also not sure that I need 2 subs...this was just a suggestion from Tom V. Given the dimensions of my room do you all feel one sub would be enough? I mean I don't want anything that will be overkill compared to the rest of my setup.

Thanks

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Generally, for HTF members, we've taken off 5% when someone get's dual PCi subs, or dual CS-types and no amp.

Strictly hush hush, and on the QT naturally. ;^)

It's not much but I guess sometimes every little bit helps. Think of it as free shipping. Contact SVS if you have interest Chris.

Ron

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
"It is my understanding that you can't go wrong with either of those choices. That said, a single VTF-3 would be no match for twin SVS's. Physics is physics. You may consider a pair of 1220's as a more fair comparison."

I have to disagree with this statement to some extent. If sub A is more musical than sub B, then sub A will be more musical than 2 or 4 sub B's. Also, if sub A has lower extension than sub B, sub A will have lower extension than 2 or 4 sub B's. Adding a second sub provides 6 db's of additional headroom, if the subs are placed properly, which generally means both in the same corner. It does not improve musicality or lower extension. I am not saying anything about the specific subs in question (I haven't even heard the VTF-3). Just commenting on this as a general statement.

ling_w

Second Unit
Chris,

Given your modest system, $1500 would be a very big budget on your system. Would a $1500 sub make a $500 set of speakers sound better than a $1500 set of speaker and a $500 sub? I guess you would have to be the judge of that. If you want reference level boom and all that at the expense of midrange tranparency and imaging, you might go with option 1. But I would put a little more balance in the cost of the sub and put the money into upgrading something else. Unless this is step one of the upgrading of all your other equipment.

Gil,

Who's this crazy guy on ebay and is he reliable.

He is seller ciallb2 of Solutions, and he knows the Dr. and the Dr. knows him. He got VTF-3's on ebay all the time, and he throwns in a few things on top of what Hsu offers. If he isn't a dealer, I don't think he could get his hand on these units.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
You might want to check out B-Stock at SVS. I just checked and they have more things there now than I've ever seen. Just hurry before someone else here reads this and takes it before you.
PS: I think the 20-39CS Plus is mine.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
The 'musicality' issue seems very interesting. It seems to me like the HSU and SVS would be identical in sound quality (both well designed vented subs tuned 20-25Hz). In Barry's review thread, Tom V made some very interesting points about how we perceive 'musicality.'

Depending on what you mean by 'blow your pants' I think that dual subs tuned to 25Hz would probably do the trick. That's some silly output. But IMO, I wouldn't spend $1500 on a subwoofer for your system anyway. Save the cash and get a PCi, VTF-2 or something.

Jim J

Second Unit
I too jumped on a 2039pc+ B-stock. I was waiting and waiting. yesterday, I ordered a new one. of course. b-stock becomes available the very next morning. I e-mailed SVS, they said just order the b-stock, cancel my other order. no problem. save 10%

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
I have to disagree with this statement to some extent. If sub A is more musical than sub B, then sub A will be more musical than 2 or 4 sub B's.
And I will agree with you on that. I was merely commenting on pitting a pair of subs vs. a single sub of comparable quality and that the surface area would be greater thus increasing headroom.

Interesting question for those of us on smaller budgets:

Has anyone ever directly compared a 25-31 PC or PCi to an VTF2 as far as musicality is concerned?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks