What's new

hsu vs svs (1 Viewer)

frank<t

Auditioning
I want to spend about $600.00 or so on a sub,I want the best bang/boom for the buck. But I cant make up my mind on buying a sub from hsu or svs like their vtf-2, svs pb1-isd please help

BrianAe

Second Unit
While the hsu vtf-2 is a good sub, I'd opt for an Aperion Audio 10" or 12" sub or the SVS. The Aperion's sound and look better than the HSU and looks better than the SVS. ALL IMHO.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
You are in dangerous territory here. Both companies are super and have great reputations. I think lately SVS has a higher presence as they have some newer products out they have been pushing but there are those folks that also swear by the HSU's. I have never heard an HSU but wish I could compare someting they had that would be close to my SVS PB2+. I personally don't know anyone who has tried both but there may be someone here that can chime in carefully......

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Frank,

One thing that might influence you is the fact that Hsu Research is also in Orange County. They also have their STF series of subs due out at the end of October that promise to offer a huge bang for the buck.

I have heard subs from both companies, and seriously, you would be happy with either.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
So Curtis, you finally heard an SVS. Which model? I think you were wanting to hear a 20-39PC+ last time we chatted. How did it compare to your VTF-3 (I think you own that model). Were they in the same room?

Perhaps imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, because the STF-12" model from HSU is a virtual clone of the SVS PB1-ISD. Really, take a minute to stack them up and you'll see the similarities are uncanny. I don't know who started development earlier, but SVS clearly beat HSU to the punch by at least 1/2 a year on the roll-out.

Anyway, Frank, the VTF-2 is a really fine subwoofer by all accounts. If you can find one B-Stock for $450 delivered, it is a real bargain. Even at the regular price of $500 delivered it is a solid value. The $600 price point is current vacant for HSU until the STF 12" hits the streets and this newcomer is really the one better compared to the $600 SVS PB1-ISD.

If you were going to stack up the PB1-ISD and the VTF-2, you would find the PB1 is tuned a bit lower (22 Hz vs. 25 Hz in Maximum Extension Mode). And it will play louder at all frequencies with the same or less distortion with a 12" driver, 4" port, and 320 watts vs. a 10" driver, a 3" port (Max Ext. Mode), and 150 watts.

If you tune the VTF-2 for Maximum Output Mode with both ports open, it will play louder by about 3 dB (but still not as loud as the SVS) but the tune point jumps to around 32 Hz; clearly not a bottom feeder and not enough extension for most HT enthusiasts, but good enough for most music except organ.

Regards,

Ed

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Ed,

Yes, I actually have a 20-39PC+ in my possesion to compare to my VTF-3. I will be spending more time with the two of them in my living room later this week. But so far...they have very similar capabilities. It is not easy moving subs around a living room! Not sure I will post my findings...every thread I have seen with an actual comparison of products between the two companies has gotten ugly.

I have not thoroughly compared the STF-12 (Hsu is now calling it the STF-3) to the PB1-ISD. But from the specs, they do look very similar. The PB1 was SVS's first box sub right? The VTF series were out much longer before the PB1, and Hsu is claiming the STF-3 has the same performance as the VTF-3 in max output mode. In fact, the dimensions of the STF-3 almost match that of the rosewood VTF-3. It sounds as if it would have been more interesting if I got a PB1-ISD to compare to the VTF-3.

Both great sub companies, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
every thread I have seen with an actual comparison of products between the two companies has gotten ugly.
We kept it civil in our last comparo thread. You have the writing talent and the PC mentality to make it happen without offending either company. I'd like to see a fair and honest write up between the two and I'm sure many others would too. Don't waste this opportunity; I wouldn't.

Regards,

Ed

James Edward

Supporting Actor
For what it's worth, I own an SVS 25-31PC Plus, but the punchiest, gutsiest sub I've heard was the Hsu cylinder model(not sure which one) at a Hi-Fi show at the NYC Hilton several years ago.
I did not care for its looks and top-heavy configuration, so I did not purchase it, but Dr. Hsu has definitely got some serious subs.
The VTF-2(which I have also owned) has bested many a 12" driver- it's definitely worth a look.
As Curtis said, both companies have great subs, and both excel at customer service.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Not sure I will post my findings...every thread I have seen with an actual comparison of products between the two companies has gotten ugly.
Of course. The subwoofer has become rather a popular phallus worthy of the staunchest of defenses (at least among those housebound types with nothing better to do...or anyone to do it to).
I've owned a Hsu 1220, but I'd likely go with an SVS at any given price point.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Geez Ed!!! Now you have put me on the spot!

In my last small comparo of some speakers...I managed to upset some people...even my self! :D

So we will see. Thanks for your vote of confidence, I really appreciate it.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I think you could do us all a favor by a review as well. I actually am in the minority here. I think on this board things are pretty civil between the SVS and HSU crowd. Sounds like things are pretty equal on both sides of the fence. Maybe not good to do over at AVSforum but here I think folks would take it very well and be grateful to you for spending the time to do it. I don't think you will hurt to many feelings as I would assume that there won't be alot of differences.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I'd love to but am in Portland, OR... a bit of a ways away. Sorry.. maybe there are others closer.. just do it.. we promise not to hang you!

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I have actually invited an SVS owner over, and another Hsu owner over...both friends of mine. So we will see what happens, just a matter of coordinating schedules.

I will give you one comparison. The SVS 20-39PC+, takes up less floorspace, but is harder to "hide". The Hsu Research VTF-3, takes up more floorspace, but easier to hide. :)

Ganesh

Agent

Assuming STF-3's freq response is the same as VTF-3's, isn't its 18Hz significantly better than the SVS's PB-1 ISD's 22Hz ? Do you know the port size of the STF-3?

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Assuming STF-3's freq response is the same as VTF-3's, isn't its 18Hz significantly better than the SVS's PB-1 ISD's 22Hz ? Do you know the port size of the STF-3?
The STF-3 will be tuned like a VTF-3 in max output mode, thus tuned to 22hz.

Not sure of the port size on the STF-3.

Ganesh

Agent

That's a bummer! Wouldn't the max extension mode (that lets you go lower) be a better choice, in general? Don't (or didn't?) you tune your VTF-3 sub to the max extension mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks