Hsu STF-1or2 or SVS PB10-NSB

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Timmy Jackson, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Timmy Jackson

So say you've got $300 to spend BUT you could stretch yourself and go up around $450+... Is the SVS worth it? Is the Hsu a great bargain at that price? What do I do?
    Considerations:
    usage: 60% HD/SD television; 30% DVD's; 10% music including SACD & DVD-A
    room: 17'x17' with 20' ceiling
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS 787
    Speakers: Elan MP800W 8" In-Wall Three-Way (6 speakers)
    level: normal listening level is what most of you would consider low

2. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

In a room that size I would be looking for as much sub as posssible. That is a huge room, almost 6000 cubic feet. I would go with something larger if I could swing it. Out of those my guess is that the SVS will put out the most SPL so I woul dgo with that. I know there is more to sound than volume but in your case you need the SPL.

3. Timmy Jackson

Thanks for the input. Can you think of better options under $500? I'm not tunnel-visioned on just those two brands. I just seem to see the most raves for those two.

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Do a search for the JBL S120 too. Someone told me it was being discounted somewhere(Maybe jrmusic?) for $299 delivered. Very good subwoofer at that price. It wouldn't give you the

5. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Bite the bullet and buy a SVS PB12-NSD its a little over $600 but would be well worth it.

6. Luna5

Luna5 Agent

I've been using an SVS PB 12NSD for almost a week now and it is an incredible sub for the money. My room is not as big as yours but the subs output is incredible. Very clean and defined on music and it goes DEEP with great impact when it is called on for movies, without sounding boomy. For the first time I get bass that I actually feel with such impact that you have to feel it to believe it. With a room that large you could easily add a second one as time goes on to get the levels that a good home theatre will require. As far as the HSU sub...you would probably have to go with the VTF-3 to get something that would be the equivalent of the SVS, but I have not heard that sub so YMMV. Must be an HSU owner that can comment somewhere out there. Don't underbuy whatever you decide on...it will be a lot more expensive in the long run to have to replace whatever you get. If you get a really good quality sub to start you always have the option to add a second to get geater room presurization as time goes on rather than replaceing a lower end sub.

7. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Or as the guy said, to throw a monkey into the wrench, there is the Velodyne DSP-5000, this 15 inch ported sub is not a bottom dweller, but it can put out enormous output in a huge space. Gonna break your budget, but from 35Hz up will outdo most everything out there in its price range, ($550 and up depending where you get it). Don't know how it would compare to 2 of the JBL's mentioned by Tom, except the DSP-5000 has features that the JBLs lack. You would have to go to the Velodyne site and see what the features are [​IMG]

8. Morgan_

Morgan_ Stunt Coordinator

I have a PB10, and I've just moved it out of the living room to the bedroom because I bought a Acoustech H100 12" sub. The H100 has more output than the pb10, -/+ 3db 24-200hz @115db I love my pb10, but during testing of the H100, it rattled stuff all over the house, and the PB10 hit low and clean, but it can't match the very large space filling area of the H100. I'd go with a strong 12" sub either SVS or HSU.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For a room that size, PB-12 at least. I'd actually look at the 25-31PCi too...