Hsu Research subs

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by HoiT, Mar 13, 2004.

1. HoiT

HoiT Agent

HI there,

I am a newbie at this forum. Just curious, everytime there is a thread on subwoofer, it is always about SVS. So far I have not seen any threads on Hsu subs. Are the Hsu subs any good for HT aplication at all?

HoiT

2. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

They are both excellent subs. You find that fans of a product end up on the same board(s) as other fans of that product. We gravitate to people with like interest both on and off line.

3. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Hsu makes excellent subs, and also has its own forum just for Hsu products, which is one reason you do not see more Hsu posters here. I have owned a pair since January, and am amazed everytime I listen to them how good they are.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    VTF-2 ownwer. Not a complaint. [​IMG]

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Same here...I own a VTF-3 and a STF-2....not a single issue. [​IMG] [​IMG]

check out the Hsu Forum that Craig mentioned.

6. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I use a VTF-2 as well ( not long actually... less than a couple on months) and it replaced a Def Tech 15" 'er which was very highly reviewed 5 years ago. That was then....

The V-2, at least in my room, delivers much tighter bass (and accurate, which is a good thing) than the Def could ever hope to deliver. It is always a host of factors which drive people to purchase this or that piece of equipment.

Some follow the crowd to SVS, some swear by Velo's, and the list goes on.

HSU makes affordable,VERY well designed,subs for any budget. You cannot go wrong vs quality bass and easy on the pocket with Hsu.
    Happy shopping.

BOK

7. HoiT

HoiT Agent

Thank you very much guys! I think I am leaning towards a VTF-3 mk II.

HoiT

8. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Hoit - What other subwoofers (besides the VTF-3 Mark II) have you been considering ?

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

As an SVS owner, I heard a HSU recently and found it very comparable. Both are excellent!

10. HoiT

HoiT Agent

Craig,

I am also considering the SVS PCi 20-39 (I think that's the model number)which is in a similar price range. However, I live in Toronto and it is pretty much impossib;e to listen to these subs before purchase. I am leaning towards the Hsu mainly because it is a bit cheaper (shipping cost is lower).

HoiT

11. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Being that you are in Canada, after import fees, you are probably better off getting a Paradigm sub.

12. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

Hoit dude,

I have the VTF-2 and love it. L O V E I T ! ! ! ! Get a Hsu or an SVS. A simple solution to the import fees is to have Kanada integrate with the REST of the United States.

Dude,

Chester

13. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator

Go to your local bookstore and get this month's issue of Stereophile Home Theater. This month is their "Best Of" issue.

In it, they give the VTF-3 a AAA rating. The VTF-2 received a AA rating. In comparison, AAAA & AAA rated subs like the Aerial went for several grand.

The VTF-2 received the same mark as an $1800 Alon Thunderbolt which has been UNIVERSALLY raved as an amazingly musical sub. That the VTF-2 is in the same league at a substantially lower price speaks volumes about it's performance.

All in all, Hsu is a giant killer at its asking price. I can only think of VMPS or Adire that do GREAT for their musicality/HT/price ratios.

14. Christopher E

Christopher E Stunt Coordinator

Note to all Canadians in the market for HSU subs.

According to a thread I read over on AVS Hsu is getting a Canadian distributor for their subwoofers.

15. Craig Forsythe

Christopher is correct.
    Canadian ordering is suspended from HSU until their Canadian distributor sets up.

I think its going to be a "order from HSU, sent from the Canadian company" type thing to reduce shipping.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687

16. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

HoiT
    I've owned the Mk2 for 3 weeks and it's outstanding.
    Goes low and plenty of power. It's price makes it very interesting. You get the impression it's worth a little more.

Good Luck
    E

17. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

As much as I hate to see you get something thats a bit subpar, I think that Curtis is right on the money. Paridigm is the way for you to go. No extra money on your end and you could get their biggest baddest sub.
    I own an SVS PB2+ and love it but there comes a time when several hundred extra dollars can make or break a deal....

18. HoiT

HoiT Agent

Well, As much as I like to get a servo 15, it is still quite expensive up here as compare to the Hsu (VTF-3 mk 2). I can get the PDR 2200 (or is it PW 2200) at pretty good price but I was told that the VTF is better. The price of the VTF-3 mk 2 has dropped to 700 US and shipping is free (well, probably will cost me some money to ship to Canada. I know, Hsu has currently suspended all Canadian orders). The glowing review on the Hsu kind of won me over. Well, I'll see how things goes.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

HoiT

19. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Check out the subs made by Aperion Audio at www.aperionaudio.com. I used to own the 10" (upgraded to the 12") and compared it in my home to the HSU VTF-2. I have to say the Aperion was superior and looks much better for about the same price. Check out the 12" sub, it may be what your looking for.

20. David*RT

David*RT Stunt Coordinator

Yup, Aperion makes some exceptional subs.

DVD Etc. magazine did a subwoofer shoot-out last year (check you local library for back issues) with several makes & models.

The whole Aperion sub line consistently outperformed the large majority of more expensive subs. The 12" sub is supposed to be amazing and can compete with the best at SEVERAL times its price-point.

Plus, as BrianAE said, the subs are beautifully made.