What's new

HSU OR SVS (1 Viewer)

Ron Temple

Stunt Coordinator
This thread is being hi-jacked, but I can't resist...

We won't or can't know the truth of either "the forum's" side or the SVS side of the story, as we weren't privy to the conversations. My own experience is this, posters don't need any excuse to crow or pan anyone's product. SVS has a legion of satisfied customers that identify with the excellent experience they've had with both the product and CS. It's not a sponsered masterplan by SVS that these fans seek out opportunities to holler, though they freely admit to marketing in the forum arena...so what.

Stan, above, was the guy who sent "the forum" the offending post. I believe I'm the guy referred to by that forum as a "fanboy" (it may have been someone else too). If it's me, I chimed in on another brand's thread, also "a friend of mine", about a marketing annoucement where I questioned the timing. No mention of SVS was made. It wasn't a negative post, just questioning why they waited so long in the year to make some hay. I was told to get off the thread because I was an SVS fanboy. I was pretty incensed and took it off line with Clint and never received a reply.

So I tend to favor the side that treats me and others with respect.

Just my $.02

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator

I never read the threads, just going by what you state here.

If you were questioning the timing, you were questioning the motivation for the news announcement, casting doubt on the motivations of the company. And if the owner, etc., was truly a "friend" of yours, would it not be more prudent, as the head of a company of your own, to make that conversation private with the individual in question, rather than speaking as the head of one company questioning the motivations and timing of another company in a public forum? What could be the benefit to you in questioning the timing of an announcement, and hence the motivation or motives of the other company, so publicly? Assuming you were posting as yourself (why else would they call the head of SVS an "SVS fanboy"?).

Again, I'm only going by your side of the story stated here.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Richard: I think you're right to pick between SVS and Hsu, and you'll get a great product no matter which you choose. I will tell you, however, that SVS will go out of their way to make sure you are 110% satisfied with your purchase. I've never met Tom or Ron personally, but when I was down in the dumps following my divorce and actually had to cancel an order for one of their subwoofers, they went out of their way to provide me an option that allowed me to still have great bass. If you've never gone through a divorce, it may sound somewhat silly to you, but I give you my word that Tom and Ron's generosity and concern for me as a customer during this very trying time in my life left a lasting impression on me. They didn't need to do what they did, but they did it anyway.

It was nothing but me, my dog, and a mattress on the floor of an empty house, but every time I was able to enjoy a movie on my modest home theater, I thought about how cool it was for the SVS guys to take care of me. Movies allowed me to have an escape from time to time during that first year, and SVS made those movies a whole lot more fun than they would have been otherwise.

I will always be grateful to them for being so good to their customers.

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
I would also take a look at the Rocket sub offerings from AV123.com.

$599 would put you into a UFW-12 open-box, and they have gorgeous finishes:
http://www.av123.com/specials.php
They are great, accurate subs and have a 1-band peq built in to take care of the biggest response peak.

If it were me, it would be between one of these and a VTF-3 Mk3, tilting to the UFW-12 for looks and to the VTF-3 for output and extension.

Ron Temple

Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

You're making it too complex...long story, short. A poster from Australia sent in a list of awards Velo got from 2005 at the end of 2006. I noted that it seemed a bit late in the year to make these annoucements. It was a passing comment, in no way derogatory. You know my regard for this company. Perhaps I could have questioned Velo directly, privately, but I don't think it was their PR, but a dealer in Australia. I wasn't paying that close attention.

I was told to get off the thread as noted. This is not an SVS matter, but an issue between the forum and I. I only brought it up because it was stewing and seemed to pertain to a couple of earlier posts...enough said, be glad to talk about it offline if you want.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Was going to mention that too, that one of the AH comments in specific was someone you and I know Bri :)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Since I wasn't there I can't say whether or not SVS actually made the comments that audioholics is accusing them of making. SVS is very aware of the accusations and if they are not true I would like to hear it from one of their reps that frequent the forums or someone else with permission to speak for SVS.

True or not the accusations have been made and even posted as on Audioholics site for all to see, so I'd like to hear SVS's side of the story. Also if these statements arent true I'd think SVS would sue Audiholics for slander since I'm sure this causes a loss of sales a smears their reputation.

Sjmarcy here...I don't care for how I was treated either as far as slander goes! I was named in the AH / SVS stickie and banned in two separate forums that day! Clint DeBoer of Audioholics banned me after one post. He assumed I was an SVS plant which I am NOT. Lately I have been posting over at Hsu's site BTW. The issues at AH are not hard to see...I spotted them on my own very quickly and posted about them.

Here is what Clint DeBoer wrote me in the "you are banned" message:

"You have been banned for the following reason: Had a nice conversation with Erik did you? You're proving our decision was correct. Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

They are flat out wrong and cannot admit it. I do not know Erik, have never communicated with him ever. SVS does not own me, run me, decide what I do, etc. I post on my own.

Based on Audioholic's fallacious and slanderous claims AVS forums wound up permanently banning me. During a period I was nearly through a 3 day ban for aggravating Craig Chase over there. Yet I had good points, folks just complained and some are close minded. I was told in writing that the ban was made permanent due to additional disruptions by me in the Craig Chase thread. Only I could not post as I was 3-day-banned?! Think about it. Based on the Audioholic stickie AVS permanently banned me and now we can see that there is more to the situation.

NOW at AVS forums I see some of the exact same points I made about the tests being brought up by others. Deja Vu.

From what I am seeing so far, both Audioholics and AVS forums have large issues which seem to be closely related to click counts and advertising revenue. A poster like Craig can get away with a lot since people read his threads (clicks) and some click on the ads. Does a company need to pay for ads for "protection" in the forums, like in gangster movies? What about unafilliated individuals such as me...do I need to buy an ad too? It sure seems like that at Audioholics. Those guys seem to push Axiom subs which per Ilkka meaure quite poorly. While denigrating certain others. Just read their forum. If Audioholics and Axiom are in business with one another, great. But disclose it. Or maybe it is just the ad angle, I am not sure but *something* is going on.

Folks this sort of thing gets cleaned up by speaking up and shining a light on the subject. Obviously if these forums can trample all over individuals, tarnish their good name and try to do the same to companies that is a concern.

Some of you may have a hard time sorting out the matter at AH and AVS. Things got edited at AH. Same at AVS. Now AH de-stickied their slanderous post.

So keep your eyes and mind open. Would you like to see if Clint DeBoer (Audioholics) and Alan Gouger (AVS) have integrity? Just wait to see if they apologize and correct things and behave in the future. I'm waiting.

Again, watch the money, look for disclosure, watch for agendas. These are FOR PROFIT sites which have ad revenue streams and which also sell items. Sometimes this is not good for the community. Speak up folks!

Sorry for my "tone: but I *have* written both forums about the matter. Silence. In some other correspondance I noticed that there is not much respect at all for members, from the replies. That is too bad. I have heard from one of their advertisers so far, Independently. See, it's not good for people like you or me OR companies. Out of control forums are not a good thing for the community.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
I don't know what to read into this, but AH removed the "sticky" they had on their post, and I could swear it was there earlier today.

In case this gets brought up by a salivating sucker-puncher, no I am not an SVS employee. SVS is a client of mine. The only reason I can even say that is SVS insists anyone who wants to know that should know that (this is not new). Whenever I make a subjective comment about SVS I try to make certain I mention that. They pay me to write software and do system integrations, not public relations. I am an HT enthusiast, and no one pays me to speak my mind on the forums.

To the OP: despite how it may seem, not everyone on the forums is employed by a handful of speaker manufacturers. I'd be willing to bet Tom V. is the only person in this thread who is employed by a speaker company.

-Rbb

Edit: holy carp! I couldn't even spell my own name correctly! The sad state of some of these discussions is that someone will probably use that as a reason to believe I'm a fake person! That's funny, actually.

-ROBB

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator

Wait... I just realized that's you, Ron, not the other Ron. I'm terribly sorry. I'm home sick today, so my head's not completely straight. Forgive me. :D

All they did was unsticky it. See: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ight=fired+svs

Note that NOW Gene says on the subject that

"Advertisers come and go on our site" and

"I consider this matter closed and hope everyone can abide and respect our new forum rules."

What about the slander of an individual, me, to the world Gene DeSalla of Audioholics? What about denigrating a company? Is there noone with a backbone and principals these days? Audioholics claims are just plain wrong, and are harmful to people.

The matter is NOT closed.

Ron Temple

Stunt Coordinator
I was kind of wondering why you were questioning me on this, even as vague as I was...no problems, we need to get together soon. I've got to hear your knat's ass EQ with the new system and you need to hear my new babies. John's got a great borrowed piece as well. Let's hook up.
;^)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There will be no further discussion of disputes on other forums in this thread. Please stick to the original poster's question. If you have nothing to say on that topic, you shouldn't be posting in this thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks