What's new

HSU OR SVS (1 Viewer)

RichardJB

Stunt Coordinator
I am just about to pull the trigger and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on which sub would suit my room best. I am down to the:

HSU VTF-3 MK3 FOR $649.00 or

SVS PB12-NSD FOR $599.00

Room is 22x18 with 12 ft ceiling.

Any help would be appreciated.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
As an SVS owner, I have to suggest SVS. I am just thrilled with mine.

But others can actually provide technical data and reasons to go one way or the other. I can't. Just love mine.

But since the HSU is a little more expensive, maybe bump your SVS budget a little and go with the 20-39PCi or 16-46PCi if you are ok with a cylinder sub.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Richard

With all due respect to those who have and will recommend the SVS...I would just jump all over the HSU VTF-3MKIII...much more porting..probably at least as large a cabinet...possibly lower group delay... I have 2 VTF-3HOs plus Turbos...I haven't even gotten around to attaching the Turbos...and I can't begin to use the full output of them...very highly recommend the VTF-3MKIII at the introductory price if it is still available.

PS I have an SVS 20-39 PCi which I like but the VTF-3MKIII is more attractive, especially to the women.

PPS Especially for such a large room!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
You might want to check if you care or not, but I believe that SVS model is made (assembled) in America. Hsu, is not.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Kevin

With all due respect...can you please tell me where SVS is sourcing its cabinets from...I know they used to be made in the USA...however, I know that cabinet making in the US got to be a very expensive proposition...a lot of internet companies are sourcing their cabinets in China like AV123 and a whole lot of others...please keep in touch. The world is getting flatter and flatter.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor

I'm pretty certain their textured black cabinets are made in the US, and the others in China. I'm also pretty certain all their drivers are built in the US, and all their subs are assembled in the US. The US has become more and more service oriented with manufacturing jobs going overseas, but for those who like to see manufacturing jobs created in the US, it can still be an important issue. Will it always be that way? Who knows? It is indeed a global economy, and competitive pricing strategies no doubt put lots of pressure on companies with thin profit margins.

-Robb

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
HSU, just because of the past history of the companies if nothing else. But the VTF-3.3 is a better sub anyway.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for helping me understand where SVS is sourcing their subwoofer cabinets with...I have taken a look at your system and I am interested in the Rane PE 17. Thanks Rob

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
You can find out more about the Rane at http://www.rane.com/pe17.html.

For those who don't want to mess with RTA software, mics, phantom power, etc., (not that you *need* those things to use the Rane) I'd recommend a long look at the BFD. That said, I did buy a BFD, renamed it the BFU, returned it, and bought the Rane.

-Robb

aht3

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Taylor
Richard,
Unless you are looking for a lotta lotta bass, take a look at the VTF 2 MK 3. It is good for rooms up to 4500^3' I have one in a room that is too small and I can barely get the knob past the first mark on the dial. without it being just too much bass. It runs for about $469. Don't let the 250w fool you. Plus you can always send it back in 30 days. I have not experience with the SVS but I have heard good things about them. You can also check the Craig sub reviews on AVS. He did a lot of hard work putting his data together. SVS and HSU fared pretty well.

Enjoy

Legairre

Supporting Actor
According this review in The Absolute Sounds the VTF-3 MK3 is even better than the SVS PB-12 Ultra let alone the PB12-NSD. The VTF-3 MK3 hit 109dB@20Hz vs. the Ultra 106dB@20Hz. You can also add the turbo and as the reviewer states will allow the VTF-3 MK3 to hit 112 dB@20Hz which is a new record for subs he's tested. For $649 you can't go wrong. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/...JanFeb2007.pdf

I also found this intersting though I hope it's not true http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=29188

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
Very interesting. Unfortunate, but interesting.

Sounds somewhat familiar. Now we'll see various employees, denying of course they work for a company, still coming across pushing their products at every opportunity.

Sounds very familiar.

Hey, don't leave out the unfortunate behavior of some Forum owners.

Some (haven't seen it here) make wild claims about people that simply aren't true! Quite reckless, irresponsible and unaccountable.

Stan (I'm sjmarcy at aol dot com...which may help some understand my point, LOL)

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
After reading the above link, I think I'm missing something. It reads to me as if SVS complained to Audioholics about (perceived) endorsements for other brands, and as a result were banned themselves...?!? Also, what does the bit about an Audioholic staff member referring to a member as a "fanboy" have to do with the staff of SVS?

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Vader I'll give it my best shot.He then implies that someone spoke to SVS and was sent to Audioholics to question the very same things that Audioholics spoke to SVS about earlier. So it sounds like he figures it's too unlikely that someone would pose the same questions unless they were privy to the SVS/Audioholics conversation so he's assuming the person is a friend or employee of SVS sent to raise those questions on the forum.

That's my take on the those paragraphs. Is it true? Is it false? I don't know, but if it's false SVS has a major slander lawsuit on their side.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks