What's new

HSU or SVS which should I choose? (1 Viewer)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Dave - Thanks for the reply. The Rocket subs we have here are also made in China (as is the VTF-3/2 obviously), and the finish is excellent. We also have a review sample of the Rocket sub in Rosewood with black endcaps... it is gorgeous, for sure.

It is likely you had the "wrong" SVS sub... the PB1 ISD is a much easier set up.

The reason I asked about the two subs, Having both SVS and Hsu in our home, set up is pretty easy if you can calibrate signals. One thing I tried with the PB2/VTF-3 ... whichever was set 3 dB louder sounded better to every member of the panel.

And just before selling the one VTF-3, and both PB2+, we did get a chance to stack the VTF-3's and listen against a PB2+ ... once both WERE calibrated, and moved into positions that each gave comparable Frequency Responses not ONE person on the "panel" could hear a difference.

Then one of the guys brought over his Servo 15... which he has owned for years. He is a musician and a speaker designer (pro-audio), and we dialed it in... level matched it to the VTF-3's, again, noone could tell the difference.... And by dialing it in, this also meant checking frequency responses in several room positions.

OF course, He also brought over his laptop with LinearX (and a couple of other) software packages totalling close to $10k...

SO ... did you make a good buy??? YEP... especially since you got a finish that works with your PSB's...

Is there a lot of difference between 12 inch, single driver, box subs from Hsu and SVS... When dealing with the VTF-3/2 and any SVS... nope...

That may even pi** off fans of both sides, but living with them this long has been very educational.

And The VTF-3/2 is NOT worth $100 more than the STF-3... IT is worth $300 more...

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George

It doesn't pi** me off in the least. As long as Dave is happy with his purchase and it filled his criteria, then he made the correct choice. I'm extremely happy with my purchase as it provided me with what I thought my previous sub lacked in my room. As long as everybody is happy, I'm happy.

Dave Nelms

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again Craig-

It is so often the case with audio equpiment (much like buying cars) thatas soon as you get your new purchase home, someone wants to tell you that you should have bought this other model because of ....

I am exteremely happy with my purchase and I do feel I made the correct choice.:D

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Dave... You are more than welcome, and I was pretty happy to see how much effort you put into this. When you look at all the stuff we have here to measure speakers, It is amazing just HOW hard it must be for people to look at different products and decide what they want.

By the way, don't feel bad that the parametric EQ was beyond what you could handle, most people can't do one "right" Within a couple years, there will be quite a few "built in" auto Eq devices.

One thing a lot of people are not aware of, is the Velodyne "auto eq" ... it is anything BUT... The Denon 3805 has true auto eq (8 band parametric) for all speakers, including the subwoofer... and is a screaming bargain, even as a pre-amp in a high end system.

That is without a doubt the next frontier... auto EQ.

With the VTF-3/2 , and its variable tuning option, in the single port open, 20 Hz mode, it does things the STF-3 cannot touch, and that really does make it worth the $300 more that I mentioned... If you want a chuckle, go look at the new Allison site, and check out the new subwoofer. A hint, it is Rosewood with a Piano Gloss top...

Again, great choice, and a well thought out post.

By the way, We also just finished a review of the Ascend 170's with both the STF-1 and VTF-3/2 ... and what a great system... we ordered a complete Ascend package to compliment the VRF-3/2... and for $898 delivered, you can get a 5.1 system with 5 Ascend 200's and the STF-1... it will knock your socks off for great sound from 30 Hz and up... If you know someone thinking Bose, add an H-K receiver like the 330 for around $ 1500 delivered, it will KILL the Bose 28 or 35 system, has the auto set up features... just amazing stuff for the $$$$...

Now if Dr. Hsu would just build his version of a B4...

;)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
"And Kudos for ordering each knowing you would be "eating" return shipping on one..."

Craig, Dave might correct me but I imagine he had a loaner from someone on that PB1-Plus. Not that it matters much now but clearly if PEQ or other features cause setup problems or are just more control than any user (like Dave) might want, then it's not one we could have/should have recommended.

But in this case we didn't.

You can't win them all and SVS is happy Dave got a sub he loves; but owning a PB1-Plus (unless there is a return on one from a buyer we don't have on record! ;^) isn't part of the equation here. So since your observation wasn't corrected, it's worth a footnote perhaps. At SVS we're confident the PB1-Plus is a superior performing sub but again we know that bass is a very personal choice and some folks are going to choose other brands based on those tastes.

It'd be a pretty boring world of INTERNET forums otherwise. ;^)

Ron

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"Now if Dr. Hsu would just build his version of a B4..."

Craig, I think he already has...and then some!

He told me years ago that he designed an infrasonic subwoofer system comprised of multiple pieces.
The Price of admission? Somewheres in the neighborhood of $100K!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Too rich for my blood, unfortunately... :frowning:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
Frank

You know I hate doing this: But you ought to get someone to build you a Graham Holliman infrasonic generator. Probably with a modern 18" driver. 200dB @ 2Hz sound like your sort of fun? :emoji_thumbsup:

Just don't ever tell anyone I mentioned this. It's our secret, okay? :wink:

I'm not going to be held responsible for you imploding spontaneously next time The Ring gets dropped! :D

ChrisBee

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

"You know I hate doing this: But you ought to get someone to build you a Graham Holliman infrasonic generator. Probably with a modern 18" driver. 200dB @ 2Hz sound like your sort of fun?"

...and who says I ain't going that route already?... :D :D

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator

Dave that's a super nice optional finish. They had that luxury Rosewood VTF finish at the show, it is very deluxe with its piano black top. Personally the matt black for me was more practical and at $699 quite a bit cheaper. But no matter what the finish, its one of the most impressive performing subwoofers around. The great thing is that its capable of high output and yet its produces such great tight bass. Many other subs are not capable of (aka my old CHT15)so IMO you really can go wrong with the Hsu.

PC

Dave Nelms

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry it has taken me a few days to get back to everyone.

Thanks again for kicking in your comments, feedback, ect.

To answer a few questions;

Ron, yes you are correct. I did not order both. In fact I was fortunate enough to find people who had some subs that I could both borrow and listen in my room and listen to them at their place. I really liked this because it gave me a chance to listen to how they had their sub set up. This was a big benefit for me. It gave me different things to try here at home. Most didn't work for me, but some did.

But while I have your ear Ron. I would like to tell you personally that your subs are very impressive. Thanks for building such a product (or products). It is good to see someone who was able to take something they are interested in and share it with the masses. In fact when I first started this quest It was because I had heard and saw one of your older tube subs years ago and I just loved the fit and finish. (the sound wasn't too bad either)

Craig, I have just read a review of the Dennon and my interest is peaked. However I am still a little shy about buying components with too many bells and whistles. As with my subwoofer, I seem to look at products that do one or two things extremely well and not those that can do many things well. And wouldn't you know it this comes at a time when my current pre/pro decided to develop a problem.

One of the things that keeps me fascinated with Home Theater and audio is the fluid way that products continue to change and improve. That is what keeps me coming back for more. However that is what drives my wife crazy, that I keep changing things and moving them around when she says they were fine the way they were (perhaps that should be brought up in another thread)

Anyway, as I said earlier, to anyone who is thinking about this type of purchase, I can only say that this was some of the best times I ever had shopping for a product. I met some great folks, heard some great gear, and was able to make a decision that works best for me.

It is nice to look at graphs and quote numbers but when you get the chance to listen to products that, I feel, is the best way to choose what to spend your hard earned cash on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks