Hsu or SVS boxed sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kiel, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Jeff Kiel

Jeff Kiel Extra

I know they haven't been out for long, so it might be difficult to get a comparison, but what are the opinions between the HSU VTF-2 and the SVS PB1-ISD? They are within $100 of each other.

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The SVS PB1-ISD is better match (output and extension) for the HSU VTF-3 than the VTF-2.

The PB1-ISD will match the VTF-3 in output with the same THD at 30 Hz, and only gives away 2 dB (with the same THD) at 20 Hz.

All for $250 less than the $850 VTF-3.

The PB1-ISD will bury the VTF-2 in output (with the same THD) while providing the same or better extension.

The basis for my statements? The latest The Sensible Sound review of the 25-31 PCi, which is essentially the cylinder version of the PB1-ISD. Tom V has the exact numbers - I can't seem to find them right off.

Ed

4. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

How will the PB1-ISD match up against an Adire Dharman (also $599)?

5. Eddie Leary

Eddie Leary Agent

The VTF-3 is very comparable to the PC+ series from SVS. I have listened to both the VTF-3 and PC+, and the differences are minor at best.

6. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

I ordered the svs box sub (pb1) and have not received it yet BUT either Tom or Ron has posted on this board that the performance will be between the 2531 and the 2039. If this is the case, then you can throw out these last comparisons.

7. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Nobody's interested in tackling the Dharman/PB1-ISD comparison? Dustin B, where are you?? [​IMG]

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Eddie,

>>>The VTF-3 is very comparable to the PC+ series from SVS. I have listened to both the VTF-3 and PC+, and the differences are minor at best.The 22-31PCi will have roughly 109db's at 31.5Hz.Just to give you an idea about what a 3 or 4db difference is, remember that 5-6db's results in double the perceived output. So 3db's is perhaps more than 50 percent greater perceived output, and 6db's is 100 percent more.

9. Tom Vodhanel

>>>I ordered the svs box sub (pb1) and have not received it yet BUT either Tom or Ron has posted on this board that the performance will be between the 2531 and the 2039. If this is the case, then you can throw out these last comparisons.

10. Eddie Leary

Eddie Leary Agent

11. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Where have I been??? Since when does SVS make a box sub? I heard about the B4 but nothing about the PB1 till I read this thread?

What are the specs of this sub? External dimentions, tuning freq, freq response, etc...?

EDIT: Nevermind... found it on the website.

12. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Thanks Tom for clarifying the above comparisons!

At this point, let me post your earlier HTF thread ... "SVS 25-31PCi Arrives..! " (copied and posted below without any edits) ...

13. Tom Vodhanel

>>>I believe it was 96db's. Remember that the tuning design lets us choose what we want. If we want maximum output at 31Hz then we choose the mode for maximum output. If we want maximum output at 20Hz we choose the mode for maximum extension.>>So what was the frequency response of the 25-31PCi? Was that tested?>Not really. Remember that the VTF-3 in the mode for maximum output has a flat frequency response to 20Hz (verified by some reviewer I believe in the Editor's Gold Award review for the VTF-3). This is the mode that will sound best with most material. In this mode, we get 115db's at 31Hz, a 3db advantage. I don't think the VTF-3 was made for the people who want maximum output at 20Hz, either was the 25-31PCi or the 22-31PCi. That is for the reputable 1220.>In a large room, maybe.

14. Eddie Leary

Eddie Leary Agent

15. Eddie Leary

Eddie Leary Agent

16. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Talk about splitting hairs!!!!

As Tom seemed to semi-gloss over, most psychoacousticians agree that it takes about a 10 decibel difference in spl levels to be perceived as "twice" as loud...yeah, somewhat frequency dependent.
    Reality is that you're only talking a precious few decibels difference between the 2 damned subs AT FULL OUTPUT! Helloooo!!...are ya gonna be running your sub at absolute max all the time? 80% of the time? 50% of the time?
    ANSWER: NO!
    Solution: Test both subs and return the one you dislike, although I'd take big bets that ya won't dislike either of them...gala apples to Fuji apples.

Had to get that off my chest. It's like people are trying to split such fine hairs with a dull knife.

17. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

18. Eddie Leary

Eddie Leary Agent

19. BrianKR

BrianKR Second Unit

I had both (HSU & SVS) and I prefer SVS as well.
    They were equal for music but the SVS provided my stuborn room with more slam for HT.