What's new

Hsu or Energy Sub (1 Viewer)

MitchS

Auditioning
I need a sub for a medium sized room to complete a Paradigm AMS-250 and CS-160 in-wall 5.1 installation. Physical size is an issue (WAF) since it must fit in an entertainment cabinet. Listening is 75% TV, 15% Home Theater and 10% Music. Music is background listening, not critical. I am considering the Hsu STF-1 and the new Energy S8.3. Both price and size favor the Energy, but not by much. Which would you choose? Thanks.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Just based on reputation, I'd get the Hsu. I don't think many here would have anything to say praiseworthy about Energy subs.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Yep I agree but also look at SVS subs as well and compaire... Both are great companies. Forget the Energy!

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
I would choose the Hsu. I am very happy with my STF-2 in my bedroom sound system and the VTF-3 in my main music system.

PC

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I've auditioned the Energy S8.2 sub and find it to be an excellent sub for music....doesn't really very low, but it's fast and tight. If the S8.3 is anything like the S8.2, it should be quite a good little sub.

Ron T

Stunt Coordinator
There are new Energy subs about to be announced that will surprise a lot of people and have quite a few innovative patents on them.With the Carver lawsuit won they've been working feverishly for 2 years on these.

wilborn f

Agent
I must say HSU is a better choice. Energy speakers have a good reputation but when it comes to subwoofers HSU is more respectable.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Ron T... I am a big believer in internet companies especially the good ones like HSU, SVS, Onix, Ascend and Axiom. Have gotten something from most of them. Have not got an HSU though as I have no need for a bigger sub than my SVS PB2+ at the moment. The only thing I don't like and they all do it is always have the hook and bait out that some new thing is on the horizon. Well every company does that but internet companies are really noted for doing this and are always late at supply or target date. I'd almost rather go back to not knowing until its done and beta tested first and any bugs worked out.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
"The only thing I don't like and they all do it is always have the hook and bait out that some new thing is on the horizon. Well every company does that but internet companies are really noted for doing this and are always late at supply or target date. I'd almost rather go back to not knowing until its done and beta tested first and any bugs worked out."

Ascend dosen't do this to my knowledge. On the Ascend Forum, we've been trying to get Dave Fabrikant, the owner/designer of Ascend to let us in on the next new offering from them but he is tight lipped. We'll find out when it's ready.

David

Ron T

Stunt Coordinator
The Energy subs are finished and I have heard two ot them. Theirs along with the new Mirage ones are going to turn the industry onto it's collective butts. They really are that innovative and unique especially a new circuitry with the benefits of a servo but without the few shortcoming servos can have. I don't work for Energy but was invited to a pre release showcase of them. They are nothing short of amazing.

SteveAZ

Auditioning
If your looking to put it inside your entertainment cabinet, I would look into a sub with front firing woofer and port.

KenWong

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with most of the guys here. HSU is known for great subwoofers, however, I think most of these guys are counting out Energy Subwoofers much to quick. I personally have the Energy S8.2, in a medium sized, open, living room and my gains and LPF are usually set in the mid section, it provides pretty tight and clean bass for the price. I believe the S8.2/3 goes down to 25htz, while the Hsu at 30. Overall, I think either purchase would be a good choice.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, Tom Nousiane reviewed the Energy in S&V a few months back. They also reviewed it next to a HSu type clone being the Outlaw LFM1

TimB

Agent
Energy makes a decent sub! The new 8.3's look and sound teriffic. I have a velodyne sub, but would definitely look at the energy when putting together another system. I have Energy connoisseurs for the rest of the setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks