What's new

HSU cylinder type sub (vs) SVS type (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
My comments apply specifically to the 16-46 I mentioned, HF found the rolloff below 35Hz to be the same as an un-eq'd 1220HO.
More info. can be found in HF's optimiser review, where he found the Hsu EQ unit to appreciably flatten the response of his 16-46 whereas before it exhibited the rolloff I described...in-room (a very big room).
I didn't mention, and am not contesting (obviously) the effect of EQ boost on headroom. It would effect either sub if used.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Jack,
I agree with you. In that one room, in one sub location, measured with one mic placement, with the old driver and totally generic plate amp...:)
TV

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Yup. You'd think, though, that both subs would be similarly effected by a given room/placement as far as frequency response is concerned. The Hsu was in the same corner, etc. Out of curiosity, how do the new driver and amp effect frequency response?

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Heh,

Get a divorce and she'll have your HT and you won't have the money to replace it......Forget the divorce!

David_D

Stunt Coordinator
BrianKR-

I have a TN1225, and it is a bit top heavy. With kids, I had the same concerns you express. However, these subs work fine on their side. In fact, that is how Dr. Hsu had his cylinder subs set up when I went for a demo. Also, although Hsu does not supply a grill, there is an expensive grill available from Radio Shack which works just fine. That is what Hsu recommends.

Dave

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>Yup. You'd think, though, that both subs would be similarly effected by a given room/placement as far as frequency response is concerned. The Hsu was in the same corner, etc.

BrianKR

Second Unit
David_D
Knowing my kids, if I turned the TN1220 on it's side the would either want to roll them back and forth or stand on them to roll them :frowning: HSU is modifying his TN series and he is most likely addressing both the top heaviness and unprotected driver issues. I just wonder if he is going to update the driver as well.
I'm waiting on the next big release from SVS and if for some reason I wasn't satisfied with that I am going to go with a pair of SVS's Ultras to complete my main HT setup.
Maybe some day down the road I will check out HSU's new TN series if he makes enough changes to warrant me giving them a trial run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks