HSU coupon?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Shannon S., Mar 31, 2004.

1. Shannon S.

Shannon S. Stunt Coordinator

HI,
    I was online ordering an HSU stf-2 and they asked if I had a coupon from the HSU store. Does anyone know how I can get one?

2. John Tami

John Tami Stunt Coordinator

SVS site does the same thing, I wondered just as you as to where....I searched a little, found nothing. Didn't let that stop me form ordering and being in Bass Bliss!

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Shannon,

Were you ordering from HSU's website? I got my STF-2 a couple of nights ago, ordered from CompUSA for store pickup ($349) and went down to my local CompUSA and picked it up half an hour after ordering it.

This sub is definitely more accurate and powerful than my Klipsch KSW-12, a steal at the price.

4. Shannon S.

Shannon S. Stunt Coordinator

There are no Comp USA's close enough to make it worth the drive that have the sub available and it says unavailable for shipping.

5. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Shannon,
    I am in Jacksonville and there are several in Orange Park. It's about 30 min. from the university.

Go Gators....

6. Greg.G

Greg.G Stunt Coordinator

Don't know about coupons, but Compusa has them for $349. They also carry Wharfedale products now(cool).

Of course they tried to sell me a 4 year warranty for thirtysomething dollars. I told the cashier that they already come with a 7 yr manu. warranty and had to tell him "No" twice before he gave up.

I think my Bose AM-3 mini subwoofer just met a Great Dane and is retreating with tail between his legs.

7. Johnny V

Johnny V Agent

Quick question for anyone who got this @ CompUSA...How big is the box that it comes in? Will it fit in a compact car (trunk or back seat), or might I have to take it out of the box?

Thanks.

8. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

The box should fit in the back seat or trunk. If not, it will definitely fit the front seat.

Just beware of the 15% restock fee just in case you need to return it for any reason.

Michael

9. Johnny V

Johnny V Agent

Thanks for the info Michael.

10. Kha:T

Kha:T Agent

Wow...CompUSA carries HSU subs now? What's next? OfficeMax or Staples is gonna carry SVS subs?

Anyway, how good is the STF-2? Which other brand name sub and which price range is it comparable to?

11. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Yeah,

Next they will be selling $10,000 plasma TV's. In fact that may have already happened! Where are all these people coming from willing to buy a $10,000 TV from any kind of store you can imagine?

Artie

12. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

CompUSA just bought the Good Guys electronics chain, and are now offering a limited selection of HT gear in their own stores.

The HSU STF-2 I bought there is perhaps the best bang for the buck in a sub you don't have to build yourself. It's basically the same as the VTF-2 in extended mode. The VTF-2 has 2 ports and a switch to change it from lowest bass extension mode to higher volume but not as deep a bass extension. The STF-2 is "stuck" in lowest bass extension mode.

So go to the HSU website and check reviews of the VTF-2 in bass extension mode, do likewise at AudioReview (119 reviews there) to get an idea of what this sub is like.

13. Kha:T

Kha:T Agent

After having read/heard so many rave reviews about the HSU subs and after having learned that I can pick up the STF-2 at a local CompUSA, I decided to check it out in-store and see for myself what all this hype is about.

At first sight, the STF-2 looked ugly. The enclosure looked cheap and the "HSU" logo looked cheesy. The control knobs and switches in the back looked decent enough, however. So I turned the volume knob on the receiver to which the on-display HSU sub is hooked up to. Bad, muffled sounds emitted from the sub. The sub sounded like it was bottoming out. I was appalled. This couldn't be real! How could this be?! I thought for a moment that those HSU fans were nuts and the sub was one POS. Cheap looks, bad sound, and at $350 a pop, it was one helluva ripoff - or so I thought. I was about to walk away, but I decided to tilt the sub up and check out the connection in the back one last time. Maybe CompUSA screwed up the connection on the display unit or something.

BOOOM! BOOOM! BOOOM!

Wowow! Clean bass now. I was surprised and excited. It sounded *very decent* now. Upon further inspection, I could see that those CompUSA geniuses didn't bother to screw in the bottom spikes. That's why the downward-firing driver was literally slamming against the carpet it was sitting on. No wonder it wasn't performing like it's supposed to.

I felt relieved and assured again, so I decided to find a sales associate to make the purchase. I had to bring it home and try it out. All of a sudden, I felt like I could waste $350 if it wasn't up to snuff at home. Minutes earlier, I just couldn't justify plunking down the same amount of money on it. I'm surprised by the way I rationalize things sometime. I think I subconsciously knew that it was gonna work fine...

So I brought it home and hooked it up to my receiver (Onkyo TX-NR900) as soon as I could - without forgetting to screw in the spikes. [​IMG] I already have an existing sub, an Earthquake Supernova MKIV 10", which is quite good as well. The Earthquake can play very loud and clean to about 29-30 Hz. I disabled the Earthquake so that I could listen to the HSU STF-2. I alternately popped in LOTR/FOTR (ring drop) and Finding Nemo (tappings on fish tank) DVDs to see how the sub performed. Very clean and loud. I was quite impressed. It performed equally well with some classical and pop music CDs that I have as well.

I now realize what a bargain the STF-2 is for the kind of performance it produces. But I still can't get over the fact that it's one hell of an ugly box. I tuck it in one corner and put a table lamp on it. I wouldn't mind paying another $100 or $150 if I could get a nicer finish on the box. And oh, that "HSU" logo, as well. They gotta do something about it...

Maybe SVS subs are the nicer-looking versions of HSU subs? Is that why SVS subs tend to be more expensive than HSU subs?

14. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

I don't think it has to do with the looks but with the fact that the SVS is made in the USA. Higher labor costs, etc. Hsu used to be made in California, but they seem to have move lots of their production to China (like a lot companies). The fact is that if it were made here it would cost maybe $449 and a lot of folks wouldn't buy it: $349 and it opens up the market to guys that can't or won't spend more.

15. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The STF-2 also has a 10" driver, I think all SVS models have a 12" or two?

BTW, my STF-2 replaced a Klipsch KSW-12, a much nicer looking sub with a 12" driver that can't come close to the STF-2 for really clean low bass output.

My budget just would not stretch to the $600 entry price of SVS powered models, and my room is relatively small, so while it may not perform quite as well as an SVS it is not anywhere near $250 worse. Certainly outperforms the $499 list Klipsch and probably quite a few other more expensive subs.

16. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Actually, a very "limited" selection of goodies. I know the CompUSA that I've been to only has an H/K AVR-230, an Onkyo 601 and some Sony "DE" receivers along with the few speakers they carry.

I guess they just stocked enough items so that when someone comes in to buy a TV, CompUSA doesn't need to send the customer over to Best Buy or Circuit City to purchase the audio gear.

17. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I hear ya Wayne. This was one of those cases where I did a lot of research and pretty much decided on what I wanted but didn't want to buy over the 'net. I just happenned on the fact that CompUSA had the STF-2 which was on my short list for $50 less than the Hsu website price and I don't want the hassle of waiting for shipping and worrying about shipping damage and such so I went there specifically to buy that one item. Their very limited selection means that I'd only go there for HT stuff if they had some item I'd already pretty much decided on purchasing at an attractive price. It's certainly not a good place to go if just shopping "blind".