HSU bass optimizer recommended for SVS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Br, May 1, 2002.

1. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

In this months The Sensible Sound a new product was reviewed, it was HSU bass optimizer. This unit is tiny, 4"x2"x4" and costs $100. It is made for HSU cylander subs that are not powered by a HSU amp(these contain the optimizer internally). The article states that this optimzer will boost the bass below 35hz and help in the rolloff that is typical at those frequencys. The articles reviewer, Howard Festler(whose SVS review can be found at the svs website) recommends that this would be benificial to users of SVS subs as well as HSU subs. Has any one used this device or heard about it? Ron or Tom?

2. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

The unit is a integrator and 2nd order filter to complement Hsu's unpowered overdamped designed subwoofers. It allows you to use your POS/spare receiver/amp to power the sub. It has switch settings for 2 different subs, which are the Hsu TN1220HO and TN1225HO. Adding the unit turns the Hsu sub into a critically damped 6th order design.

Howard Fester had made it known that the Hsu optimizer benefitted the SVS sub he had, which was down 5dB or so at 20hz.

3. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Hi Greg.

I have dual SVS 16-46 CS+'s.

The other day I finally did a frequency sweep on my system . I was amazed at how flat the response was below 100Hz all the way down to 20 Hz. Did not go below 20Hz but will try that next time. In any event my personal observation, in my room (Rather large 16'x26' with 14' ceiling and large opening to the rest of the house)is that EQ is not needed. But if you do because of your room or personal preference I think you'll be better served by one of the equalizers that SVS offers, or some other device made for that purpose.

Hope this helps a bit.

4. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

That was my take as well, for $150 I could get an eq and have more options, just wondering what this device does, the fact that TSS recommended it got my attention.

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The FR of any subwoofer will be totally dependent on the room,position of the subwoofer,position of the listeners...and a few other minor variables. If someone finds their subwoofer rolling off a little down low...the hsu box might help if one of its two *presets* just happen to coincide with the rolloff.If the presets correspond to the built in EQing for the TN25/20 models...it will two presets... about 6dB/17hz and about 6dB/24hz I think(?).

As mentioned...a $129(BFD) to $399(rane pe17)EQ would allow you to custom tailor the boost to your exact needs AND give you the ability to tame any room induced frequency peaks.

TV