HSU at CompUsa

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JeremyR, Dec 9, 2003.

1. JeremyR

JeremyR Supporting Actor

Jeremy
    Was very surprised to see that my local CompUsa in Kansas City is really upgrading their home theater section. They've started carrying the Wharfedale line.. and now have HSU subs in stock, as well as their new ventriloquist speaker set.

2. Rick Ewing

Rick Ewing Agent

All CompUSAs are upgrading their stores for a more home theatre centric focus. The acquisition of the "Good Guys" chain allowed them to inherit distribution contracts that make this possible. One CompUSA employee told me that they really wanted to merge with Circuit City, but that didn't pan out.

It's interesting to see Hsu go "brick and mortar". This is a new strategy for them and we'll have to see how it plays out.

3. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

My local store has a display STF-2 . They are priced at $349.00 . Everystore in my disrict has the display unit and three on backorder. I heard HSU is pissed that Comp USA is undercutting their pricing. I asked the manager if he would sell me the display , but he wouldn't go for it even though I was willing to pay full price without box or manual. I looked over the shoulder of the salesman when he was looking up stock and saw Comp USA cost on this sub is only $180.00. So I guess they can afford a $50.00 price cut on this baby. I got my first look at an HSU sub and one thing that amazed me was how ordinary the driver looked. No big fat surround , very plain looking. This is supposed to be the same 10incher as in the VTF-2. Dr. HSU must be a magician to get such prodigious output from such an unextroardinary looking sub.

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

8 mm xMax! I think I have a good idea of just how little that truly is but maybe you could explain it a little further?

6. Chris Sherman

Yes, I guess I'm used to my Dayton 12" DVC with it's Kevlar reinforced cone and 16mm xMax. The HSU driver looked just plain weak . It looks like a run of the mill poly cone with a thin rubber surround, and 8mm Xmax is not a lot by todays standard as Steve pointed out. The cabinet is also very small. I'm sure some of our more knowledgable sub builders might be able to offer an explanation of how HSU does it. But excursion alone can't be it especialy with only 8mm . No other small box subs like this can reach down to 25hz at any appreciable levels. Is Dr. HSU just a master at getting the most out of such cheap looking parts ? or is there more than meets the eye here. I'm really curious how he does it. I wanted to buy one just to see how it performed next to my SVS 25-31CS or my DIY Dayton DVC sonosub.

7. Chris Sherman

There is a long thread at the HSU forum concerning the patnership with Comp USA . Kind of interesting, many feel it was a poor idea.

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

The sad fact is that HSU is getting critized for making a good product at a fair price, but I bet some of his competition is making an inferior product in this category and they're not getting their just criticism. Remember a great looking woofer doesn't necessarily make for a great performing sub, I personally think that the Shivaes (formerly owned), Tempest (formerly owned), DVC-15 (currently owned and modelling what to build), and AV-15 (currently owned and modelling what to build) are pretty plain compared to woofers on the marketplace in appearance but would smoke most products that are easily up to twice the price unless it's at one of the approved Diy supply stores. Hopefully this adventure into mass market will bring great bass to the masses at an affordable price (wonder if we'll see a cylinder...).

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Just think, now when we click on the gotapex link, we'll be looking for instant rebates, coupons, free s/h...might drop the price even further!

10. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Apparently, the agreement was between Hsu and Good Guys then CompUsa bought Good Guys and now have the agreement. Supposedly, CompUsa is using technicalities to get around the agreement not to sell for less than the factory direct price.

I'm not feeling that sorry for Hsu for being undercut on their product. Hsu made the decision to sell through a retailer at lower profit in exchange for sales volume.

11. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I'm also not sure the CompUSA/GoodGuys decision was a good one for Hsu Research.

That said, the one thing that it has done was put, quite possibly, the best $400 subwoofer within easy reach of more consumers without the barrier that the internet causes for some.

12. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

13. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

14. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Yes, you are correct, it was a typo (not a math error) - thank you for catching that. I meant to type 120% (not 220%), which is what CompUSA will be selling the STF-2 for ($399) very shortly, per a revised argreement with Hsu.

Your "what-if's" are exactly that - possible scenarios. While manufacturing companies have contingency plans for such (unlikely) scenarios, they operate in the here and now with very complex and protective contractural agreements. Potential scenarios aside, the truth "at this tiny, little moment in history" is that the sub cost CompUSA $180 wholesale, and they will sell it for $400.

I have a very good idea of what it costs for overseas parts production and skilled labor assembly, and I witnessed the loss of some 1,700 American jobs to overseas competition as that particular U.S. factory painfully down-sized and cut operating costs to become (barely) competitive for OEM contracts with overseas manufacturing. It is very, VERY hard (almost impossible) for U.S. manufacturing facilities to compete with foreign labor, and I can easily see how many U.S. based companies want to take advantage of the financial benefits overseas manufacturing offers.

But the United States was built on a strong industrial manufacturing base. The rank and file middle-class blue collar American citizen needs skilled manufacturing jobs to stay right here in the United States; that critical demographic is literally the fuel that powers the U.S. economic engine. All over the country we are witnessing the same scenario playing out again and again - once vibrant and thriving industrial manufacturing factories (and the communities that grew up around them) are now ghost towns as American companies are increasingly becoming nothing more than local distributors of their own foreign made products. It is a sad state of affairs and if this trend continues unabated, we will become nothing more than a nation of software designers and hamburger flippers.

And you're right, I've spoken my piece and it's time to give it a rest. Actually, I haven't devoted a great deal of bandwidth to it (maybe a few posts total) and now I'm done with it.

15. Mike Reeter

Mike Reeter Agent

Here,here Doc,I'm with you a 110% I've been a Union employee for the past 25 years...The Corperate greed will be the end of a great era in this Great land of ours...The U.S. will one day be nothing more than a 3rd class Country in the scope of things.

I'm going to buy an SVS sub. one day,just because it is one of the few components I can buy for our H.T. that is MADE IN THE U.S.of A.

16. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

There are a lot of components for HT you can buy that are made in the USA.....in fact you can choose to have an all US made HT system if you wish...not just the sub. Why stop there?

Lets not be hypocritical.

17. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

Curtis,

Amen.

18. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

19. Mike Reeter

Mike Reeter Agent

Curtis,My long term plans are to own Rotel or B%K one day. I purchased all Polk speakers before I realized they were being made in Mexico...you know,one of those U.S. born companies that headed south...

Sorry about the rant[​IMG] Sore subject

20. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

That leaves you with B&K....Rotel is manufactured in China.