HS500 vs QSC RMX850 + ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Strassburg, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I've had an HS500 on order from Adire for about 6 weeks and am getting a little impatient.

This will be for a dual Tempest sonosub. If I go with the QSC RMX850 I can wire to get 300WPC, correct? So I'm the same or a little more power wise, but what else would I need for EQ, Bass Management, etc...

Can I get an QSC RMX850 + whatever else for less than the $499 for an HS500??

TIA...Mike

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Looks like the RMX 850 and BFD would be a good combo for you and should run you about $450. I wouls get the amp first though, then if you need an EQ, buy the BFD. There is no sense in buying something if its not needed. If your room produces a fairly flat response, the EQ won't be needed.

Just wire your Tempests DVC's in parallel to get 4 ohms each, then run each tempest to each channel on the amp. You will then get 300W per tempest into 4 ohms.

3. Mike Strassburg

Jeff,

I am now leaning towrds the QSC RMX850 as my 3802 already handles the crossover part.

Does anyone have any info on the parametric EQ in the HS500?

From the Adire website...

Is it possible that I might still need a BFD with the HS500??

Thanks...Mike

4. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Mike,

Realize the QSC amps do have a fan which is on to some degree ALL the time. It is not silent. I have an HS500 here and can say it is a VERY robust amplifier. Unless your sub has a sensitivity in the mid/low 80s, you will be getting quite loud before the fan kicks in, and only when really pushed hard does the fan produce any real "whirring" sound. The same cannot be said for the QSC. QSC makes some awesome amps. We have a PLX 236 at the office, and it is great fun, but I wouldn't want it in my home theater space.

Mark Seaton

Sound Physics Labs / ServoDrive

5. Mike Strassburg

Thanks for the feedback Mark. I'm just getting tired of waiting for Adire to ship the HS500. Guess I'll send Dan a note and see if they're close to shipping yet...

6. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

The HS500's are about 2 weeks away from shipment.

Kyle Richardson

Acoustic Visions

7. Mike Strassburg

Kyle,

Thanks for the update!