HS500 Arrived Today

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Strassburg, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

HS500 arrived today and of course I road my bike to work, forgetting that it was coming in. Strapped it to the back with a couple of bungee cords and road slow.

Unit looks VERY nice: solid and well built. Tomorrow I'll build a box for it and FINALLY get to audition my sonosub!!

I'll have to shoot Dan W a quick note though as it came with NO manual or paperwork. I'm guessing that it should have.

Will have some pics/SPL results of my sub in a week or so, and pics of my DIY KLF-10 center channel.

YES...this has become a sickness.....Mike

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

haha, good job with the bike transport Mike. I don't think it was supposed to come with any paperwork, as my AVA250 didn't have any paperwork either.

3. Jeffrey_S

Jeffrey_S Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mike,

I don't know how you can stand the suspense! I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the sub I almost built. Keep us posted on your first impressions when you hear the beast for the first time. I can't wait to see/read your reaction.

Jeff

4. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

heya,

my HS500 did come with a small manual. by small i mean, like 2 pages. nothing in it you would really need though. just hook it up and let it rock. btw, the fan on it is ultra quiet, ive seen people ask about the fan. i'd be interested to see the box you build for it, too. i paralleled one of those 3-pronged power sockets to the power input and mounted it to the back of my box. it didnt look right with the power cord wrapped to the front/top of the amp.

5. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Hi Mike,

I have to agree with you that the HS500 is a very nicely built amplifier. I've been reasonably impressed with the apparent power it can produce. What type of subwoofer will you be driving with it?

6. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I'll try to answer most of the stuff here, but I'm going to start another thread detailing my first audition and some issues I'm having.

Jeff R,

I couldn't figure out where the power leads for the sub were and wouldn't have been able to tell + from - if I did find them, also wanted to know about the phase switch, and guidelines on the bass boost feature. Apparently they're still translating the manual.

Mark S,

It's a dual Tempest:

480L

28" x 54" sonotube

Dual 6" x 20" ports tuned to 17z

Lined the walls with about 8#'s on 1" batting

7. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Hey Mike,

Maybe this will help...

If you flip the amplifier module around, with the inputs circuitry at the bottom, you will find two terminals at the top and in the center of the heatsink, inbetween the output devices. As you look at the back the positive terminal is on the RIGHT as I recall. With the phase switch it really doesn't matter, as you can just flip the switch and see which orentation combines constructively with your mains.