HS10 Screen Alignment?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon Groff, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

I'm building my HT right now and would like to mount the PJ (Sony HS10, which I don't actually have yet) slightly off-axis from the horizontal center line of the screen (less than 1' over a 15' throw to a 106 diag screen).

I seem to remember reading that the HS10 has horizontal keystone correction that will allow this. I hope I'm remembering correctly before I finish the drywall!

Also, the top of the screen will be 9-12" below the lens of the ceiling-mounting PJ. I'll be able to tilt the PJ to any angle. Will this be okay too? Does it have vertical keystone correction too?

I only have 7' ceilings and am putting the PJ mount up between the joists. I'd like to install it so the only thing hanging below the ceiling will be the minimum I need to get the lens clear.

I'm trying to think of everything to make this work. I've even installed a supply-air duct into the PJ cavity that I'm building to blow conditioned air into it to keep a heat pocket from forming there.

Thanks for any responses! I may cross-post to AVS for their larger base of installed HS-10's there.

Gordon

2. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

Gordon, check out http://www.hs10.com, we set up a forum just for this projector [​IMG]

The HS10 has both vertical and horizontal correction, so you should be fine, although using these corrections generally results in less PQ...

3. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Paul,
    I could not get the link above to work (until I got rid of the comma :b ) Hey, I never said I was very bright!

I registered, and I showed up as a logged on member, but every time I tried to reply to a thread, it "unlogged" me.

Gordon

4. JasonGarrett

JasonGarrett Agent

Gordon, the HS10 has both horizontal and vertical keystoning. They may affect the picture quality when watching HDTV, but I bet you won't be able to tell the difference on DVD.

5. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I just got my screen hung and believe I can move my PJ mount to center it horizontally after all. Also - the distance from the top of the screen to the ceiling is much less than the 1' I thought it would be, so my vertical off-set from 15' back will probably only be 6" or less.

Gordon

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Then you will need only a slight minus correction on your keystoning. I had a scenario with a 12' ceiling that presented lots of challanges because the mount was only 12" max. I had to modify the mount so it could drop down 24". Then I had to mount my screen fairly high and use keystone correction.

7. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Hey Neil,
    Good to hear from you! So.... How do you like your HS10? If memory serves, you were intending one.

Gordon

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Gordon, I have the Sony 11Ht which I got for a deal. I saw an HS10 locally for about 4999.

9. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

10. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

Gordon, try www.hs10.com now, the cookie issue is fixed [​IMG]

i'm working on a FAQ as well for the HS10, so send along your Q&A if you want!