What's new

HS10-big scr/short throw vs sm scr/longer throw (1 Viewer)

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen this hinted at in other threads, but not specifically answered. I'll have almost exactly 151" (or 12.6 feet) between lens and screen. According to the throw chart, the largest screen the Sony HS10 can accommodate with this lens-to-screen distance is 100” diag and the smallest is 83” diag. Has anybody who owns the HS10 seen a significant PQ difference between using the minimum throw to get the largest picture versus using the maximum throw with the smallest picture?

Even if the PQ is noticeably lower at the maximum picture size, would anybody feel the decrease in screen real estate is worth the increase in PQ?

Also, I'll be sitting directly under the pj, so my eyeball to screen distance will also be about 151" (or about 1.73 times width of 100" diag screen). Does anybody who sits about this close have any complaints? According to the Projector Central calculator (using the Sony VPL-VW10HT), sitting distance for the 100" diag should be between 12.8 ft and 15.4 ft, so my sitting distance of 12.6 ft would be slightly short by their estimate. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

David

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have my HS10 yet (patiently awaiting delivery :D ) but I wouldnt THINK there would be any noticible difference between max and min screen size... It's done by shifting the lens, so I think it's a completely optical operation-- I doubt you'll see any dif.
One thing to be careful of-- make sure you're at least an inch or so below maximum screen size... You wouldnt want the projected image to fall JUST too short of the edges of your screen... that would bug me to no end.
I don't think you'll find many who would describe 1.73 times screen width as "close". I'm going to be sitting about 1.5 screen widths if I end up going with an 80" screen (at ~10 ft. for the primary seating...~16 ft. for second row), so I'm hoping that won't be TOO close.

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
"I wouldnt THINK there would be any noticible difference between max and min screen size... It's done by shifting the lens, so I think it's a completely optical operation-- I doubt you'll see any dif."

That's what I was hoping. But others have hinted that there might be some difference, so I just wanted to ask.

"One thing to be careful of-- make sure you're at least an inch or so below maximum screen size... You wouldnt want the projected image to fall JUST too short of the edges of your screen... that would bug me to no end."

Definitely! I plan on making a screen after I get the projector, so whatever the max size turns out to be, that's how big I'll make the screen I guess.

"I don't think you'll find many who would describe 1.73 times screen width as "close". I'm going to be sitting about 1.5 screen widths if I end up going with an 80" screen (at ~10 ft. for the primary seating...~16 ft. for second row), so I'm hoping that won't be TOO close."

Do you mean an 80" DIAGONAL screen, or 80" wide?

Thanks!

David

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Ahhh-- 80" diag. is what I meant... so that would be actually more like your arrangement-- about 1.7 screen widths. I'll be sure to post a full review of my HS10 with lots of dif. sources (HTPC, progressive DVD, interlaced DVD, S-Video SVHS, component/s-video console gaming...) and let you know how the seating distance works out for me

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately around mid-January... just placed my order yesterday (Dec. 27th) and CDW said they expected it would ship on Jan. 12th... it'll give me time to get the nessasary parts and re-arrange my room (currently setup very differently to accomodate a 32" direct view)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Watch out for the projection calculators on projector central as they are not always accurate.
Here is the HS10 throw chart calculator...
Here

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Typically, using a maximum zoom for a lens will end up using more of the lens at its periphery, where aberrations / imperfections are more prevalent. Whether a given lens has noticeable aberrations or not, ... I would guess that for a majority of folks, any quality differences would not be noticeable for most material. If I were you, I'd try to demo the proj using the max zoom at the intended viewing distance (or at least the same viewing distance ratio relative to screen size, if a 100" diag screen cannot be viewed at max zoom).

Doug

David Giles

Stunt Coordinator
If I do end up getting this projector, I'll probably just mount the projector, and then temporarily mount a 5' by 10' sheet of the Parkland material (for homemade screen) and zoom the projector out as far as it will go to get the biggest picture I can for the throw distance I'll have. Then I'll play with it and zoom down to smaller screen sizes and see what how I feel about the picture quality. Once I've decided on the screen size, then I can just mark and cut the material and frame it up.
Neil, according to an HS10 owner over on AVS, the throw chart calculator (Excel spreadsheet) may not be entirely accurate either. He swears he got a 100" diagonal picture with only 11.5 feet of throw distance. According to the calculator you need 12.6 feet of throw to get 100" diag. Personally I hope he's right and the calculator is wrong, since that means I'll be able to get an even larger screen than I first hoped! :)
David

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
David-- now THAT is interesting-- that concrete's my position of not making my screen beforehand... I'm definately going to wait and see how much I can get out of my mounting location now. Interesting indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks