hrm.. receiver clicks into dolby but only outputs to mains

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip_G, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I just added a dolby digital DSS receiver, it's connected to my VR-407 with a toslink to video 3, when I switch to HBO (they're often digital I guess) and tell the DSS box to output digital, my receiver clicks over to DD but only outputs to the mains, HAS to be something stupid I'm missing! help!

2. Brian Crowe

Brian Crowe Stunt Coordinator

My guess is it's a stereo soundtrack encoded in Dolby Digital 2.0. I could be wrong but that's my guess.
    ~Crowe~

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

didn't know there was such a thing!
    could very well be, I'll check some other movies and see what I find!
    thanks for the idea!!

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Yes, the Dolby Digital light will light up and only the left and right boxes are lit up right?
    If so press "listen mode" and manually put it in Pro Logic, then both the DD and Pro Logic(Red Lights) will light up.
    Most stereo PL sources will show up as DD but is not flagged to trigger the Pro Logic, so by hitting "Listen Mode" you can put it in PL(both the red DD and PL lights will light up), the L & R will still be the only boxes lit up, but don't worry if it is pro logic material it will work.
    For example my Fletch DVD 2.0 PL will display only the L&R boxes and just the red DD light, I have to manually put it in PL using the Listen Mode button.
    Now The burbs when I put it in it is flagged to automatically play in PL and both red DD and PL lights up and L,R and Surround in the center(the little s between the L&R surround boxes indicates surround mono) is lit up, maybe The Burbs is 3.0 I don't know.
    All I know is most TV sources are not flagged for PL, but most of my PL DVD's are flagged.
    Let me know if that worked, it should, that's how it works on my 407!
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
    [Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 12, 2001 at 11:50 PM]

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Yeah! it does.
    I spent a good hour looking for a full 5.1 DD show on directv but couldn't find any, pro logic sounds great though, maybe I'll leave the 407 set to PL instead of auto [​IMG]
    thanks for the runthough!

6. Sean Conklin

No Problem Philip, You may find some(few and far between) HBO, Fox(Simpsons?) programming in 5.1. But you will know when your little speaker boxes light up.
    quote: maybe I'll leave the 407 set to PL instead of auto[/quote]
    This would be okay, but you may miss the occasional 5.1 broadcast, and not all programming will be PL encoded, so you'll be stuck with the center speaker only.
    I find it's good to just leave it on auto, then put it in PL, when it looks like it will be a PL show.
    Old sitcoms, and quite a bit of programming will be stereo only. And when put in PL, you will only hear the center speaker
    That's as good as TV gets, I trust your DVD's are playing in 5.1 correctly DD and dts.
    ------------------
    Sean
    [Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 13, 2001 at 12:50 AM]

7. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Last weekend DirecTV/HBO's broadcast of Hollow Man and Men of Honor were both DD 5.1. As you've already seen though, most DD programming is only 2.0....I switch to analog for those movies and choose DPL2 or Circle Surround.
    Vin

8. Sean Conklin

quote: ....I switch to analog for those movies and choose DPL2 or Circle Surround.[/quote]
    Vin, unfortunately we have the 407 which doesn't have DPLII or CS 5.1 [​IMG]
    You probably have the 507, which is nice huh?
    Your DPLII and CS work in digital don't they?
    ------------------
    Sean
    [Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 13, 2001 at 11:41 AM]

9. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

10. Sean Conklin

Vin, I was just asking if your DPLII and CS work in both analog and digital mode, which I am sure they do.
    IOW both DPLII and CS work with RCA jacks(analog) and with a digital connection(optical, or coax).
    ------------------
    Sean
    [Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 13, 2001 at 03:36 PM]

11. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I have a somewhat related problem. (Using the 405, then I'm getting the 509 in 2 days!!!)
    With my Digital Cable Feed (Videotron Digital) some channels are in DD 2.0 (No DPL - Must set manually each time) and some others are in another format which my decoder box probably decodes to PCM, so leaving my Video 2 input as DPL by default works for those, but whenever I hit a channel that's in DD, I have to manually enable DPL each time, a pain when channel surfing!
    Is there a way to make it always default to DPL (Or DPL2, CS etc) even if the 2.0 source is not flagged PL?

12. Sean Conklin

13. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor