HRDV2 DirecTivo. Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_eb, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I'm planning on getting a DirectTV setup and I would like to get some comments on the HRDV2 DirecTivo receiver. What did you pay for yours and what does it cost per month for the Tivo? Also, will these become obsolete in 1-2 years?

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

3. Don Whitley

Don Whitley Extra

If you have a DVD recorder will you be able to record Tivo recordings to the DVD recorder and if so can it be recorded to the DVD in 5.1 audio?

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It shouldn't be any problem recording a Tivoed show to DVD. There is a "Save To VCR" option that disables a lot of remote control commands and puts a title screen up before the program starts. I don't think you will get DD though. D-Tivo will output 5.1 through the optical connection but I don't think DVD recorders will record digital sound. I don't have a DVD recorder so I could be wrong about this.

-Robert

5. NateD

NateD Auditioning

I'll be getting my HDVR2 this weekend hopefully so I can let you know then. You shouldn't pay more than $199 for these units. This price is available at Tweeter, Good Guys, and Ultimate Electronics that I know of. I believe UE is called something else in the midwest.

Circuit City and Best Buy like to charge $249 for these units.

I think they will still be in very high use in 2 years, but will there be something better out by then, absolutely, that's the nature of the beast.