1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

HP rolling out HD-DVD drive by Christmas 06

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Harminder, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

From Engagethd:

HP is rolling out several HD DVD-based products for the 2006 holiday season. The HD100 external HD DVD drive, connecting via USB 2.0, it's a 2x HD DVD reader plus DVD and CD playback. Cyberlink's PowerDVD HD DVD Edition software is included for HD DVD playback.

HP is also rolling out desktop and laptop computers with built in HD-DVD drives.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/09/30...-the-holidays/

2. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

What's the price? Only a reader? All the initial blu-ray drives are writers.

3. Harminder

Harminder Second Unit

It's strictly a reader. The article doesn't state a price.

4. ppltd

ppltd Producer

Writer should be early 2007.

Thomas Eisenmann

5. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

This is where HD-DVD is making a big mistake.

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    ???

Or did you mean to type HP?

Cees

7. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Actually, I'm quite content with the idea of a HD DVD reader. My computer's dual layer DVD writer provides me with all the optical storage capacity I need, and if a simple, cheap reader allowed me to ugprade the current HTPC to HD DVD playback capability, that would be great.

Blu-ray writers certainly have great specs, but I don't currently need (and am not willing to pay for) everything they have to offer.

8. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

A read-only drive doesn't sound like such a bad idea to me. As we've seen with the Toshiba HD-DVD models, the players are basically just specialized computers. For those of us who already have "high-end" computers with the other components necessary to do the processing, why not let us have the drive? Just two days ago I caved and ordered an HD-A1 for myself because of its overall value and convenience as a standalone player, but if, say, a Blu-Ray read-only drive were available at a sub-$500 price point, I'd give the format much more consideration.

The fact of the matter is that very few people have the need or desire to record on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray at the present time. The recording technology is in its infancy and as a result the burns are slow and the blank discs are prohibitively expensive. If it's cheaper for a manufacturer to make read-only drives, and they can then pass the savings on to the consumer who's merely looking for a means of playing HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray movies, I'm all for it.

9. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    I have to agree, that a cheap Read only HD-DVD drive should give the HD-DVD camp quite an edge, I myself would go ahead and buy it even though I am rooting for Blu-Ray to succeed. I don't think the Blu-Ray camp has thought of those who don't have a real need for Blu-Ray writing abilities. A cheap read only drive would add to the prospective movie software buyers who are willing to use their PCs to watch the films.