HP Printer Support Gripe

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LewB, Dec 27, 2002.

1. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I just purchased a nice new Dell machine with Windows XP. So far it's love at first sight. Now for the gripe:
    I own an HP 722C printer which I connected to the new XP machine. The XP has a microsoft generated driver for the printer that works OK but does not support duplexing (printing both sides of the paper). I asked HP if there were any plans to release a new driver and they told me 'no' because it's an 'old' printer. Am I being unreasonable to expect support 4 years out after purchase ? I really like the 722C and it works fine. I have no plans to buy a new printer.
    I'm sort of disappointed at the response. I guess they think there is no money to be made supporting a 4 year old printer.
    Guess what ? I will try not to purchase HP products in the future ! I doubt that my decision will make or break HP, but what can I do ? [​IMG]

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I have this printer. Of course, the printer does not duplex, but depending on the individual program, you can set it to print odds/evens in that software itself. I know I can do that in Word and Acrobat Reader (the only two I use for double sided printing).
    And, the printer is more than 5 years old. I bought mine in Oct. '97. So, I think it might be a tad unreasonable to expect unending, unpaid support.
    If you think HP is bad about drivers, you will horrified by some of the others. The issues I've had with a friend's Epson- Aye Carumba!
    EDIT- I found this. http://www.fineprint.com/products/fineprint/index.html Trial version. $39 to buy. It appears it will do anything and everything you want to do with a printer. And the 722C is supported.
    Todd

3. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

4. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I have the world's worst luck with ink-jet printers, so bad that I have a collection of color inkjets at home that just quit working, everything from HP to Epson. They just aren't worth getting looked at or fixed. I finally just bought Brother lasers for work, they seem to be indestructible.

My one functioning color ink-jet is the cheapest one I ever bought: a Xerox M750 I only paid $50 for.