What's new

HP Laptop keyboards (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
How do I remove a keyboard from an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop?

Worked in IT for 20+ years and never spilled anything on my own personal hardware, but spilled a small amount of diet Pepsi several weeks ago.

Everything works, but often have to bounce around using caps lock or the different shift keys to get capital letters.

Always worked with Dell notebooks where the keyboard just popped right off and you could clean it.

Don't see anyway to get the HP keyboard out except taking the whole laptop apart. Is there an easier way?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stan said:
How do I remove a keyboard from an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop?

Worked in IT for 20+ years and never spilled anything on my own personal hardware, but spilled a small amount of diet Pepsi several weeks ago.

Everything works, but often have to bounce around using caps lock or the different shift keys to get capital letters.

Always worked with Dell notebooks where the keyboard just popped right off and you could clean it.

Don't see anyway to get the HP keyboard out except taking the whole laptop apart. Is there an easier way?
No idea about getting the keyboard out but in the meantime you could connect a USB keyboard to the laptop to see you through until you figure it all out.

The video link below might also help you out.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
No idea about getting the keyboard out but in the meantime you could connect a USB keyboard to the laptop to see you through until you figure it all out.

The video link below might also help you out.

Thank you for the link, slightly different model, but shows the basics of what I need to do.

Much more complicated than a Dell, where you remove a piece in front of the keyboard and it then just pops out, but this looks doable.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, if you think the DV6 is tough...

Try an Acer Aspire. Boy am I glad the Aspire is not a laptop I travel with anymore. The keyboard(or worse, under it) shorts and kills the laptop at random. It is used closed, connected HDMI to an AVR with a Logitech K400. Yeah, a large entertainment PC... :wacko:

Seriously it was cheaper to replace that laptop, in the field, with a new MS Surface. I kid you not.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Here's a link to the service manual (pdf). You should find what you need in there. Looks like page 79 goes into how to remove the keyboard. (pg 71 if you follow the printed page numbering)

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252.pdf

Are the keys not removable? A coworker spilled some soda on her laptop keyboard and I showed her how to gently remove the keys and clean the gunk off. Worked like new after that.

McMillianAdams

Auditioning
Real Name
Melanie Garcia
I was supposed to post similar question, good thing I browsed through the thread. My HP laptop keyboard have problems with the space bar and letter S. I had to press the keys twice before they function. The video and manual are very useful, I just need to convince myself that I can do it on my own. I have not tried my hands on the laptop hardware.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Paul D G said:
Here's a link to the service manual (pdf). You should find what you need in there. Looks like page 79 goes into how to remove the keyboard. (pg 71 if you follow the printed page numbering)

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02842252.pdf

Are the keys not removable? A coworker spilled some soda on her laptop keyboard and I showed her how to gently remove the keys and clean the gunk off. Worked like new after that.
I'll have to try this, thank you. Never even looked at the CD that came with the laptop, probably has that same file on it somewhere. One of those Homer Simpson moments.

I'm reluctant to just pop off the keys that are acting up. Of all things my dog stepped on the keyboard of my old Dell, and every key I was trying to fix just broke when I removed it. Very tiny little plastic tabs that hold them in place. Ended up buying a new keyboard because I just made it worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks