What's new

Hows Trainspotting? (1 Viewer)

JohnE

Supporting Actor
How is the version of Trainspotting that's out now? Also does anyone know if there is another edition coming. I always try to check on that anymore before I buy older dvd's. I swear that I've replaced half my damn collection over the last couple of years!:angry: Thanks.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
The Canadian release is apparently superior. It's non-anamorphic, like the US release, but does contain some interesting extras.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Somebody's gonna have to back me up on this but I believe the Canadian disc is the US R rated cut while the barebones US is the unrated cut. I'm not positive about the Canadian release being edited but I know for a fact the US disc is unrated and is falsely labeled on the back. I think they're both not anamorphic and don't know if the quality of the canadian is better in anyway. For non anamorphic the US disc to me seems pretty good for what was probably a comparatively low budget production. The 5.1 comes through decently enough in the film's musical sequences. I haven't heard any plans for an SE and this edition is decent enough. I don't think the Aliance extras were anything that great. I'm sure disney will eventually release an SE but I would pick this up in the meantime because a release might mean the end of the availability of the unrated cut since it violates their video policy on unrated and nc-17 movies.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info guys. Guess maybe I'll pick up the unrated cut. I love this movie so it will probably just be another movie I end up buying twice, if they ever do a SE.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The r rated one has dubbed voices(I didnt know this until watching the unrated. The dialect is more slurred on the unrated.) Also, the scene with Renton having sex there is an extra shot of the girl getting off of him. Those are the only differences that I know of.

Mike Russell

Agent
I would like to see a version realeased with the director's commentary. IFC has been showing a version with commentary for a long time.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I would like to see a version realeased with the director's commentary. IFC has been showing a version with commentary for a long time.
The commentary track is available on the Criterion release of the laserdisc and I too wish that Criterion would release a DVD with everything that was on the LD. I found the commentary very interesting.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The US disc is Unrated with the original dialogue, using Criterion's transfer. No extras.

The Canadian disc has a few seconds altered during a sex scene but uses the original dialogue. It has numerous extras.

The re-dubbed American version is not available on DVD to the best of my knowledge.

Jeff

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
The commentary track is available on the Criterion release of the laserdisc
i own the criterion ld, and if i'm not mistaken, all of renton's narration and much of the dialogue is re-dubbed for the american release. i watched the american vhs copy i have a bunch of times, and then got the cc ld, and noticed it immediately. i never had any problems understanding the actors, my mother is scottish :) although she doesnt seem to have as filthy of a mouth as francis begbie.
CJ

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
So what is the final verdict on the Canadian release? I wouldn't mind that little edit, I just want an edition with subtitles one day. Does any of these discs have subtitles as well.

I got the Criterion laser off ebay once, but could not understand the dialogue, and I can't do closed captions. If I could just get the DVD to watch the movie once I can really delve into the laserdisc...

Benson R

Supporting Actor
The R1 has subtitles. I know cause the first time I watched I needed them myself. If you have the laserdisc you already have all the supplements so why not just get the R1 to watch the movie?

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Its probably best to watch without subtitles even if you don't follow. I think with Spud especially your not supposed to understand half of what he says.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Thanks Benson.
I prefer Canada because I usually only use Canadian etailers, it is the cheapest and so far most reliable alternative I have (even for US only titles actually...)
the mystery store in question is www.dv-depot.com in case anyone is wondering...

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I can understand that but with the US version readily available and probably to be found cheap if you look it seems the way to go. I haven't seen the alliance version but if it contains the redubbed dialoque I consider that a much bigger omission than missing footage from the "shag of ages" chapter. I feel the intent of the film was to not understand half of what the characters say. Maybe I'm wrong but I would imagine that much of the slang of the scottish characters would not be well known to many English people. Plus I find half the fun of the movie is rewatching it and slowly understanding what the characters say. To me it adds much to the repeat viewing experience.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I would love to eventually see the studio(s) sit down and explore the relevance of this film, and why it would be important to put some $$ into a revisited anamorphic transfer with all the bells and whistles. I always sort of assumed that we would get a SE someday, but it looks less and less likely with each day.

I only saw it once (in the theatres) but it left an indellible mark on me. All I know is, despite the faint praise being given the current editions, we all know this movie deserves better!!!

~j

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I have both R1 versions.
To confirm what others have said, the Alliance has at least one of the edits from the US R-rated theatrical release (a shot of Kelly MacDonald reaching between her legs is replaced with a pan across a football[soccer] crowd on television during the "First Shag in Ages" sequence). It has no altered dialog. Despite being labeled as R-Rated, the Buena Vista DVD is the unrated cut. The Canadian release has an interview and deleted scenes featurette while the US release is bare bones.
It is a bit of a coin toss, but I would probably go with the bare bones US version out of principle as much as anything. Although, out of all of the barebones non-anamophic titles released by Buena Vista, this is one of the ones that they should have gotten around to re-pricing by now. The MSRP is still $30. :angry:
Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks