What's new

Hows this paradigm setup? How much could I get it for in canada? (1 Viewer)

Mark Daria

Grip
Since paradigm is located in Canada, I've heard that their speakers can be bought for significantly cheaper.

I'm looking at getting 4 Atoms and a CC-170. Will likely be adding my Sony SA-WM40 Sub to the mix.

Will it be a good mix, with the mains for clarity and the sub filling in the low end? I filled it with polyfill and spiked the feet as well, and its pretty tight.

How much could I pull it off for in canada?

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi
Atoms - $169.00 a pair - CDN$
CC170 - $150.00 - CDN $
You could also go with Titans at the front, or all around - I don't think they cost much more than the Atoms - maybe $199.00 or $229.00 CDN$
These are approximate costs from about 6 months ago. Here's a site that sells Paradigm's (not online)
http://www.easthamiltonradio.on.ca/
Hope this helps

Mark Daria

Grip
Wow, I knew they were cheaper up there, but thats awesome! Thats almost half the price of what we have to pay on ebay for em here in the us...

Anywhere theres a quick currency calc?

Mark Daria

Grip
And any idea how much a PDR-8 or 10 would go for? Will there be any problem taking these across the border?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Today the CDN dollar is around 65 cents US. So take the Canadian dollar amount and multiply by 0.65 to get the american amount. Divide to do the reverse.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Wow, I knew they were cheaper up there, but that's awesome! That's almost half the price of what we have to pay on ebay for em here in the us...
That's ridiculous. I paid $189 for a pair of SHIELDED Titans at my dealer locally.

For not too much more than the Titans, one can get the Axiom M3ti, and it is a much better performer. Had I known when I bought the Titans, I would have certainly bought the Axioms instead.

Mark Daria

Grip
A year ago I paid $249US retail for shielded titans.

Seeing you pay $189CD for the same bring a tear to my eye.

I'm planning on going up near niagra, toronto I believe. Any suggestions on specific places to go? If I buy a whole set at once, will I get a price break?

I've always been impressed with paradigm speakers, and to be honest I wouldnt know about any other brands to look for. I figure if it aint broke, dont fix it.

I'm looking to spend $500US (770CD) on an entire 5.1 system, hopefully with the receiver as well.

Any suggestions on full system? Do they make shielded atoms? How much do mini-monitors go for? Will they match with the CC-170?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm using Minis with a 170 and they seem to pair well. The 170 is not as good as the 370, but it seems to be doing the job just fine for now (I listen to way more 2ch music than movies or multi-channel music).
I paid $189 US, not $CD, but it's still a good price. :emoji_thumbsup:
The WM40 is a very decent sub for it's price, but is a bit boomy. I have not heard one with appropriate polyfil, but I know what polyfil has done for my DIY subs (sealed not vented). :D
Not familiar with the area, but you can always check the dealer locater on Paradigm's site, or ask that as a separate question to get more responses.
The Titans are a bit muddy in the lower midrange, and distort when set to large and pushed hard. The Atoms lack seriously in bass, which tends to make them more accurate. When set to small, and crossed over around 80Hz-100Hz, the Titans and Atoms are almost indistinguishable.
A better bang for your buck, IMO, would be Axiom Audio, also Canadian.

Mark Daria

Grip
Wow, those axiom speakers look nice, and Ive just read some impossibly glowing reviews.

The M3Tis are a little large for me. Could I get away with the M2Ti and the M1Ti or M0Ti for the rears? How is the VP50 for a center?

Are there any other affordable subs, say 10" or so?

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased 2 pairs of Atoms, a CC-170, and a PDR-10 subwoofer for $995 Canadian ($625US) almost a year ago. These are great little speakers, and they are perfect for a family room set up. I got them from Fairview HiFi in Burlington (Down the street from Ikea). I shopped East Hamilton Radio, Gibby's Electronics, and Fairview. Not only did Fairview have the best price, they were very helpful and friendly.

Edit--I think list price for these were around $1150-$1200 at the time. You should expect a 15%-20% discount from list, especially if you are buying the whole package. Also-there is no problem getting these back over the border. The boxes have "Made in Canada" printed right on them. You can also get the taxes back by stopping at the Duty Free Shop.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mark, make sure you look at Axiom's factory outlet, because they have quite a bit better prices. Most people here who have bought from the outlet have stated that what Axiom considers a blemish, was hardly noticable if at all.
I'd say you'd be fine with the M2s. I have not heard the VP50, so I couldn't say. I would recommend the same speakers all around (4 M3s or 4M2s) plus whichever center corresponds, but if you want to drop the price, I would say M3s and a VP100 up front, and M2s out back. There is a difference in tweeter, but for surrounds, it will probably be OK (both are still titanium, so timbre should still match).
For budget subs, I think the Sony is the one to stick with.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm guessing their factory outlet IS in Canada, since they are located in Canada. Give them a call, or shoot them an e-mail. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks