What's new

How's This For Rare! (1 Viewer)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Last week I won an absolutely mint LD copy of Ice Station Zebra, a moderately desireable title, using the "Buy It Now" option. Today I received it. Beautifully packed! Just as mint as the auction claimed. I could not find even a tiny flaw until I opened the gatefold and ..... the inside had nothing to do whatsoever with this film. Instead, there were photos and chapter listings for a double feature, House of Dark Shadows (you know, based on the old TV series) and Night of Dark Shadows. The seller did not mention this mixup; she said she had never even watched the LD. I'm taking her word for it. Anyway, it was only $9.99 so it's no big deal.
The discs say Ice Station Zebra but I haven't played them to know for certain.
I've owned probably over 1,000 LDs in my day but I've never come across or heard about anything like this. It's rare but is it valuable? Very likely not. I'd like to think so; perhaps someday I'll auction it on Ebay and find out.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV
[Edited last by alan halvorson on August 13, 2001 at 07:58 PM]

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Value depends on your marketing savvy...
OOP Rare! as opposed to screwed up copy...
wink.gif

------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Another bit of LD Lunacy involves Major Dundee. Look closely on the front cover, it features a picture of Peter O'Toole who is NOT in the movie. Seems some youthful exec doesnt know Richard Harris from St. Pete. No doubt that exec now works in the "family" film section at WB
tongue.gif
Too bad it's a Columbia/Tristar disc and probly prone to LD rot, I never picked it up because of the rot factor. Not sure if the picture flub makes it any more collectable. Cheers.
PS..Wasnt Ice Station Zebra Howard Hughes' favourite film?
------------------
Dear MGM : Quality over quantity & Consistency!
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The only mis-labeled LD I have is "Sex on the Run", from Vestron Video's "Wonderlust" division, sort of a soft-core flick featuring Tony Curtis playing Cassanova. Side 1 has the correct label but side 2 has the label for another Vestron title, "Til Marriage Do Us Part". The actual disc has "Sex on the Run", both sides, but the master the movie was taken from has a radio station playing in the background! I have the CED videodisc of this too, and it has the same audio problem. (The LD of "Drive-in Massacre" has the sound of stuff being rewound and cued-up in the background, and I've seen several VHS tapes with similar stuff on the soundtrack, but that's another story.)
I've heard a few LDs were made with the wrong material on one side, like side 2 of a different movie, and a few copies of "Beverly Hills Cop III" had side 1 pressed on both sides of the disc.

Harrison Shinn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harrison Shinn
I have a copy of "The Greatest Story Ever Told" on LD that has a mistake on it that was corrected on later pressings.
On the back of the disc there's a section where it lists the actors and their character's names. Right above "Jesus...Max Von Sydow" is "Bowman...Keir Dullea".
Harry
------------------
i'm not policing what you think and dream...
-Tori Amos "Concertina"

John GB

Stunt Coordinator
When I first bought the DVD of "Fiddler on the Roof", I popped it in my player and, lo and behold, it was a DVD of the Nagano Olympics. The disk was stamped with the "Fiddler" logo and everything. I guess I should have saved it as a rarety item, but I was just PO'd at the time and took it back for a replacement copy.
------------------

Paul_C

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased a "Lady and the Tramp" LD and it said widescreen on the cover and the label. Low and behold, I played the disc and it was the pan and scam version.
Only paid a few dollars for it so I kept it and got another one.
Paul.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I bought the R2 Freaks DVD only to find a Mannheim Steamroller music and DVD demo. Returning it would have been a hassle (out of the country) and I figured that there was probably a whole batch that was mispressed.
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I purchased a "Lady and the Tramp" LD and it said widescreen on the cover and the label. Low and behold, I played the disc and it was the pan and scam version.
Wasn't Lady and the Tramp's dual release made from the two different versions of the film, like Sleeping Beauty? I thought that they shot one version scope and one version flat so that theatres could run what they were equipped for.
I found the non-scope Lady and the Tramp LD for $4, so I picked it up, and it doesn't seem like a pan 'n' scan to me, tho' I'd rather have the scope one. How is it?

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
This isn't HT related, but I have a football card from last year that has Bruce Smith on the front and Courtney Brown on the back. It's funny.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks