What's new

How's the Rio Bravo Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I seem to remember reading something negative about it here at HTF but I haven't been able to find anything. Is it a quality transfer?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I probably saw it in the theater when I was very young, but I don't remember how it looked at all. However, the Blu-ray, to me, looks overly brown. It's sharp and clean, but the color timing does seem to lean toward the (very) warm side of the spectrum.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It just looks so odd to me. The colour seems right, but looks over saturated & busy (the best way I can think to put it). Obviously there's a story behind it, faded negative maybe? I'm sure if Warner had another go at it from scratch, with all the know-how & tools they have now, it would be a different story, but it doesn't look like they're going to.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Rio Bravo was already out-of-print when I converted to Blu. That made me sad. To remedy the sadness, I'll buy this, even though I read the discussions (about the problems) on this forum. Then, because I have no self-control, I'll double-dip down the road.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
rob kilbride said:
Thanks guys. Not sure what I should do though. Maybe I'll wait.

There are some screencaps at my site if you wish to view them.

Its an upgrade over any DVD, solid enough transfer but i thought the low bitrate affected a few scenes negatively, one of which was the barn scene early on where i thought posterization was an issue in a couple of shots, mind you i am being very picky there, it's worth buying, i'd give it a solid 3/5 for blu ray, if Warner redid it, upped that bitrate and took more care then i'm sure it would be 5/5 from me.

Oh and my 3/5 is probably most people's 4/5, buy it, you'll enjoy it.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I consider it a disaster. Everything about it is contrary to any 35mm or 16mm I ever saw, far too dark and black boosted, reduced shadow detail, heavy, overly thick grain ("Faux")texture, horrible inaccurate color timing with no true reds or blues. Totally unacceptable. The DVD is far more accurate to IB reference prints but it has its own list of imperfections.

Bloody awful transfer. A Major Hawks, should never have been allowed out in this second rate encode. Don't waste your 10 bucks or whatever.

EDIT: As you can see opinions vary here.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Rio Bravo is one of my all-time top 20 movies, and though the transfer has some problem points, I consider it too damn good of a movie to really care about the presentation. The movie is so good, I end up paying attention to that more than anything. It's a must-get for the film alone, I couldn't in good conscience dissuade anyone from getting it on bluray.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
The current Blu-ray isn't without its problems, but it's very watchable. In any case, I really can't imagine a new transfer from a proper restoration ever being released on Blu-ray.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Never seen Rio Bravo, but I am receiving the John Wayne Blu-ray Collection from Warner in another week or so. Looking forward to seeing the film, warts and all.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Never seen Rio Bravo, but I am receiving the John Wayne Blu-ray Collection from Warner in another week or so. Looking forward to seeing the film, warts and all.
One of my Wayne favorites.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
If I have a single favorite film, it's Rio Bravo. I never tire of watching it and I've lost count of the number of times I've seen it.

I don't go quite as far as David Hare but I regard the Blu-ray disc as severely sub-standard. It's regrettable that Warners issued such a poor disc of such a great film in the first place. That the disc sold out and Warners have enough faith in the film's commercial appeal to re-issue it, but have chosen not to do it right this time is deplorable and inexcusable. And I am normally a big supporter of Warners . . . .

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have the new Blu-ray but never saw the old one. I suspect it's the same transfer but it's definitely not just a straight reissue of the old Blu-ray - the 2015 edition offers DTS-HD MA audio (vs. lossy DD on the old one) and it loses one of the documentaries...

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
david hare said:
I consider it a disaster. Everything about it is contrary to any 35mm or 16mm I ever saw, far too dark and black boosted, reduced shadow detail, heavy, overly thick grain ("Faux")texture, horrible inaccurate color timing with no true reds or blues. Totally unacceptable. The DVD is far more accurate to IB reference prints but it has its own list of imperfections.

Bloody awful transfer. A Major Hawks, should never have been allowed out in this second rate encode. Don't waste your 10 bucks or whatever.

EDIT: As you can see opinions vary here.

This assessment is totally exaggerated in my eyes, but as you said, the opinions vary.

I had seen the movie a few years ago in the cinema. It was a scratchy copy whose colors looked washed out accordingly. But it was not such a big difference to the Blu-ray, as far as my memory serves me.

Anyway. As long as there's no other option, I am happy with this BD.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This is on the telly right now. I'd forgotten just how bad it looks. Colour over-saturated (all the actors look like they've been sunbathing for far too long), grainy/noisy as hell, no fine detail, dupey looking. Just wrong!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Colin Jacobson said:
I have the new Blu-ray but never saw the old one. I suspect it's the same transfer but it's definitely not just a straight reissue of the old Blu-ray - the 2015 edition offers DTS-HD MA audio (vs. lossy DD on the old one) and it loses one of the documentaries...
I think in the thread about the John Wayne bd collection it was mentioned that neither Rio Bravo nor The Searchers had received new transfers. Too bad really.

cannon1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
Any word on the latest Reg.A Transfer quality, released 6/02/15??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks