What's new

how's the R1 TRUE ROMANCE? (1 Viewer)

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, I'm talking about the Tarantino-scripted pulpfest by Tony Scott. A friend of mine told me the R1 disc isn't that good, and while the recent R2 release looks gorgeous and has DD 5.1, it's not an option for me since they reversed the front channels. So, how's the R1 disc?
Mathias

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I think everyone should own a copy of this DVD. Like my good friend Clarence once said: "It's better to have the "True Romance" DVD and not need it, then to need the "True Romance" DVD and not have it."
Although the disc doesn't have any real extras, it is a must-own for a true fan of this movie (or any true Elvis fan).
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
MY TOP 20 OF 2001

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i have the r1 and like it. yeah..it's a barebones release but at least the video looks decent. i'm not sure if i'd call it reference quality, but (imo) there's no blatant defects.
besides, if you're a fan of this film then you'll easily let it slide and enjoy the film!
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Let's not forget it is the unrated version of the film, containing scenes that were cut to avoid the NC-17 rating. Funny how Warner can do this for True Romance but not Eyes Wide Shut!
Jeff

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
it's not an option for me since they reversed the front channels
What do you mean? I've got the R1 release, and although the soundtrack is only Surround 2.0, its still pretty decent. Is the region 2 Dolby Digital track defective?
------------------
Dark3.jpg

"The Kid is HOT!" Vincent Gallo, Buffalo '66
"K-Mart Sucks Ray" Tom Cruise, Rain Man
“The London Underground is not a political movement!” Jaime Lee Curtis, A Fish Called Wanda
Join the fight against crap British Films. click here!

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
I have the Region 2 DVD and it is beautiful
" I ain't no fag but If I had to f**k a guy, I had to. If my life depended on it, I'd f**k Elvis. "
- Clarance Worley
True Romance
Love True Romance. Wonderful movie.
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD

Mick Wright

Second Unit
" I ain't no fag but If I had to f**k a guy, I had to. If my life depended on it, I'd f**k Elvis. "

"So we'd both f**k Elvis! It's nice to meet people with a common interest."
FYI, the trailer on the R1 dvd has clips of a couple of scenes that were cut out.

Will K

Screenwriter
This movie is awesome and perfect fodder for a full-blown SE. But seeing how these insane studios are with unrated releases these days, I doubt it'll happen. I'm surprised Blockbuster hasn't blindly lumped this one in with their "terrorist warning" program.
------------------
My Scary DVD Collection

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I like this movie so much I even bought the R-rated version on VHS so I could remember all the differences between the R cut and the unrated. There's a big difference!
I would love a SE of this. An alternate ending was filmed because I remember an article where Scott shows Tarrantino two endings to show him why he chose the one he did.
Matt
------------------
Honk Kong DVD Reviews and News
loveandbullets.com

Mathias Klemme

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the Region 2 UK DVD is defective. Front channels are reversed, which makes the DVD useless for me. It's very obvious in one scene where a train goes by, and during the rollercoaster ride.
And thanks for the answers. I'll get the R1 then!
Mathias

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
Mathias
Mate, the R2 was withdrawn and repressed about a week after it was released!
Any copy available now has the correct audio channels on left and right (and in DD5.1 to boot!)
The pic quality is fantastic!
Get the R2 version!!!!!
The UPC for the repressed version is 321900131582.
Hope this helps.
Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks