How's the quality of the non-Mei Ah Kurosawa HK DVD's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Leopold, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I've seen these on Ebay several times, but haven't spoken to anyone who owns them. They come in black & white cases, and my main interest in them is that they have The Idiot, Scandal, and The Quiet Duel, which are not even available from Mei-Ah. I was hoping somebody here might have some insight as to how their quality is. There's an online store that currently has a set of 14 of them on sale for $99 (not sure if I should post the link since a lot of their other titles are foreign bootlegs--however I found the link via the bargains section of another large DVD-related forum). I own 10 of the 14 in other forms currently, and 1 of the remaining 4 is The Fencing Master, which was written but not directed by Kurosawa. If the quality is acceptable, I may consider ordering the set then selling off the 10 I don't need.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

they're bootlegs of the Mei-Ah discs.

Just wait for the Criterions and go home happy

3. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I suspected they might be, based on the other titles at the site. Do you know if The Idiot, Scandal, and The Quiet Duel are available anywhere else from Mei-Ah. I've done numerous searches, but can't find them anywhere.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

They'll be out in Japan soon, but no subtitles