What's new

How's the quality of Mei Ah DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I just won a couple auctions for Throne of Blood & Ikiru, both Mei Ah DVD's. Has anyone had any experience with these? I've been hankering for some new Kurosawa, and got these rather cheap. Just curious what I might be in for.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Ummmm, Mei Ah are the worst company in HK in terms of DVD quality. Their discs are watchable (barely), slightly better than RAN

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I suspected they weren't going to be the best, but I've been eager to see these two movies (as well as Stray Dog, which I'll pick up as soon as I find one cheap) for quite some time. Granted, if Criterion releases copies of these I'll upgrade, but my main interest right now is seeing the movies.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Now that I think about it, I've got a follow-up question. Are they Madacy bad, or just Laserlight bad? I can live with Laserlight bad.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Mei Ah is not as bad as Madacy or Laserlight but the letterbox widescreen transfers for many of their films leave a lot to be desired.

Mei Ah does have a few DVDs presented in anamorphic widescreen and some DVDs with dts audio options. Unfortunately, the majority of dts DVDs from Mei Ah have been flippers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks