How's the quality of Mei Ah DVD's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Leopold, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I just won a couple auctions for Throne of Blood & Ikiru, both Mei Ah DVD's. Has anyone had any experience with these? I've been hankering for some new Kurosawa, and got these rather cheap. Just curious what I might be in for.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Ummmm, Mei Ah are the worst company in HK in terms of DVD quality. Their discs are watchable (barely), slightly better than RAN

3. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

"How's the quality of Mei Ah DVD's?"
    ...simply put: Bad !...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

4. Scott Leopold

I suspected they weren't going to be the best, but I've been eager to see these two movies (as well as Stray Dog, which I'll pick up as soon as I find one cheap) for quite some time. Granted, if Criterion releases copies of these I'll upgrade, but my main interest right now is seeing the movies.

5. Scott Leopold

Now that I think about it, I've got a follow-up question. Are they Madacy bad, or just Laserlight bad? I can live with Laserlight bad.

6. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Mei Ah is not as bad as Madacy or Laserlight but the letterbox widescreen transfers for many of their films leave a lot to be desired.

Mei Ah does have a few DVDs presented in anamorphic widescreen and some DVDs with dts audio options. Unfortunately, the majority of dts DVDs from Mei Ah have been flippers.