What's new

How's the new Indigo Girls SACD? (1 Viewer)

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
I realize not many people got overly excited when Sony announced that the Indigo Girls latest "All That We Let In" was being released as a surround SACD hybrid, but I like them a lot, and they are my wife's favorite act. By far. I bought this SACD yesterday but can't listen to it until I give it to my wife as a gift next week. Anybody listened to it yet? I've heard the redbook, but how's the surround mix and the sound quality on the SACD?

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
It is good. The mix is a bit more active then the previous SACD from them, but not aggressive by any means. The sound stage is very good and its like having them sing in your room. The audio quality is very good and the songs themselves are solid, if not there best stuff.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I love this new disc (well, it's not that new anymore). I think it's their best collection of tunes in several years. The excellent sonics are icing on the cake.
Is it not OK for guys to like the Indigos?? ;)

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, I admitted I like them a lot! :)

And I agree, it's one of their better recent efforts. I still prefer their Rites of Passage / Swamp Ophelia years, but this one is good too.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The sonics IMHO could have been somewhat better. The vocals sounded a bit thin and overly processed, but it is rare that a pop recording isn't "fixed in the mix" rather than applying good audiophile techniques.

Good music, though. I do admit it! :D Also have their other SACD, Become You.

I have James Taylor's J.T. on SACD (along with most of his other SACD's) and this recording is analog from the 70's, and although sometimes the dynamics aren't as punchy as today's newest, well done digital recordings (only during the livelier songs do you really notice it) the vocal track is so well engineered and reproduced on this remaster it sounds like he's sitting right in the room singing directly to you. It's that good. The Indigo Girls and their stunningly good "pipes" that jell really well together (although I do agree their earlier works are better and they had fresher, more powerful singing voices then too) demand better treatment.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.