How's the DVD of The Postman Always Rings Twice?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by StephenA, Apr 29, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I got it at Wal-Mart for 5.88. Just wondering if it's a good transfer and such. I've never seen the movie either, but I like Jack Nicholson, so I'd figured I'd pick the movie up for cheap.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

How is it? Non-OAR. End of story for me, unfortunately.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I just watched the original w/ Lana Turner and John Garfield on TCM this evening and would like to pick up the DVD but am hesitant since Warner is slowly revisiting their earlier released classics in elaborate box sets with upgraded keepcase art.

I just wanted to post here to ask wehther there was any strong possibility that this title might turn up in just such a packaging in the near future? I couldn't think of any box-set contexts that it might fit into, and I doubt very much that we'd be seeing a Lana Turner Collection from WB, so would you guys say that this title is a safe buy?

What's the verdict?

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  5. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    I'd be really surprised to see Warner revisit this title, since it just came out... what, two years ago? It's a great DVD, and it's cheap. Get it.

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks,

I didn't really mean revisit in a new edition... just possibly repackaged with other thematic titles that might somehow be paired together in a box set...

Anyways, why worry about it I guess, I could always hit up Ebay...

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't out of the loop on any classic WB announcements.

Thx.

7. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

It's based on a James M Cain novel, so would fit nicely into any further volumes of the Noir boxed sets. Perhaps Warner will use it to beef up a set where the other films included are not well known.

8. Derek Estes

Derek Estes Stunt Coordinator

I could see the Lana Turner/John Garfield version appearing in a keepcase in the next year or two. There was word that more of John Garfield's films were coming next year, and if say a signature collection were released Postman would be an obvious addition even if for only the inclusion of the TCM documentary included on the disc. Many of Garfield's Warners films are not available yet, and though he is not quite as popular as say Bogart, Flynn, or Cagney, Garfield does have a solid fan-base that would welcome a collection. But, in any case I would reccomend purchasing the film, because it is a wonderful disc, and in the event of a box set the price will be so cheap that you will still get your moneys worth.