1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

How's the current dvd of 'THE FUGITIVE'?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Inspector Hammer!, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I've been thinking about picking this up, but I vaguely recall others saying that it wasn't a very good disc, is this true?

I know that there are, or were, two of them, the original dvd release followed by a second one later on. I would most likely pick up the later edition because I presume that it would have better image quality over the first?

Thanks.

2. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

I own it and I like it. Transfer and audio is fine. Some good (not great) extras. Buy it, WB has pretty much stated there will be no more re - releases of this title on DVD.

On a side note - I just finished watching the Scrubs episode where J.D. finds out the janitor was in the Fugitive. Damn! That was funny.

Janitor (paraphrasing): We all make our choices in life. I chose to be a janitor instead of an actor.

Dr. Celso: Go clean up some vomit infront of the entrance!

3. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

I just watched this disc about 2 weeks ago. Looks good (for a 12 year old film on DVD) and sounds great. The 2001 re-release is labeled as “Special Edition” (on the security sticker at the top of case) even though the front cover is identical to the original release (aside from the red border) it's on the back of the box where you can really tell the difference between the 2 versions.

Original 1997 release:

[​IMG]

2001 “Special Edition” re-release:

[​IMG]

Excellent film, respectable DVD - well worth the $9.99 (or less) price tag that most retailers now sell it for.

4. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    One of my all time favorite films. A great action/adventure/drama that still holds up after repeat viewings. The train crash is still a superb action scene in an era before CGI really took hold.

I've owned the current SE for a while now, and for the price you can't beat it. Extras are ok, if a little light. The picture quality is standard for a Warner release of its time, so its a fine transfer and a definite improvement over the previous release, and the DD 5.1 track sounds great (the train crash alone is a nice demo track).

A good DVD and a great film that I don't mind revisiting every so often. I remember visting Chicago a few times and once stayed in the same Hilton and Towers Hotel that they filmed the end of the movie in, as well as walking around Dealey Plaza.

5. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

NO!!! Don't get the SE! It digitally removed a crew member who was visible during the train crash. [​IMG]

Seriously though, it's a very nice DVD. I would've liked some deleted scenes and the trailer(this one just has the teaser). If you look at the screencap of the back cover of the original release, you can see a picture of Harrison Ford being questioned on the stand. That was cut from the film.

6. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Thanks, guy's, I went and picked it up used at my local Coconuts Movies and Music store, it was $7.99, great price for a great film! [​IMG]

It is the special edition, BTW.

7. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

Yes, but you can see the unaltered image on the "Anatomy of a Train Wreck" featurette. I'm actually glad they removed that head, i.e. digitally removed it, not...you know. [​IMG]

I know you were joking by the way, Adam.

8. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Wow... never noticed that before. And it was right in plain sight. [​IMG]

9. John*D

John*D Second Unit

Get it! It's a great film and it can be found cheaply.

Get the special edition...

10. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

The re-release from 2001 corrected a goof that appeared after the train crash sequence. When Kimball looks up from the wreckage, a member of the crew was visible looking down at the camera. One night I was listening to "Coast to Coast AM" and some caller was saying that it was actually a leprechaun that was visible in that shot and its removal from the new DVD was an Illuminati plot to conceal the truth. I almost drove off the road because I was angrily shouting at the radio about what an idiot the caller was being.

11. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Umm, John, see post #8. [​IMG]

Bought it today, and yes, the train crash just ripped the roof of the joint! [​IMG]

12. Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne Second Unit

You're not kidding. It's almost as if Jone hasn't watched the movie since it came out. At one point he even seems critical of it when he says that he's "giving exposition to laundry bags" in one of the final scenes. You'd think for a film that earned him an Academy Award and catapulted his career it would have a special place in his heart instead of being held in the same regard as, say, Man of the House. [​IMG]