What's new

How's the bass mgmt. on the new Sony SACD changer ? (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I'm referring to the new $350 SACD model from sony (ce775 ?)
I was wondering if you could set your speakers to large and also sub to "yes".....Any complaints about the bass mgmt ?

John E F

Stunt Coordinator
The bass management features work great. There a few speaker settings that can be used such as small+sub, direct, etc. They can be adjusted for multi-channel and stereo individually. There are also settings for speaker levels and front/rear balance. While not as solidly built as the ES line, it is an excellent machine for the price. Especially for those who want to get into SACD for less than $400.00. The jump to the ES line maybe worth looking into, as I have read there are good deals to be found. I have been very pleased with 775 so far, for the price.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, are you saying that the bass management feature allows you to play stereo SACD tracks with a sub? That would be very nice.
I have not been impressed with the build quality of the 'CE775 in looking at it in stores. As a result, I am considering the SCD-C222ES multi-channel changer. It should be built a lot better. The 'C222ES retails for $800, which is twice the retail price of the 'CE775, but Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480) is selling it for $575. Oade Bros. is an authorized Sony dealer. I am waiting to see the 'C222ES at a local dealer.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on September 19, 2001 at 09:02 PM]

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
I've also been wondering about the bass management on the CE775. I would need to be able to set the center and surrounds as small, the mains as large, and sub to none.
Can it do this? I've heard that some SACD players have 'limited' bass management. (whatever that exactly means) I just need to know if this player can be used in my current setup...
Greg

John E F

Stunt Coordinator
The CE775 has the follwing bass management settings.
For stereo there is a small plus subwoofer setting that directs the bass to the sub. There is also a direct mode which sends the full range to the two speakers (no sub).
There are 8 multi channel speaker settings that do work as described.
1. All large + subwoofer
2. All Large (no sub)
3. All small + subwoofer
4. Front large + subwoofer (center and surrounds small)
5. Front large (center and surrounds small, no sub)
7. No center + subwoofer (front and surround large)
8. No center (front and surround large, no sub)
There are also settings for center, surround, and subwoofer balance. Not too bad for a sub $400.00 SACD player. Let me know if I can help answer any more questions.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, thanks for the information. Leave it to Sony to include many features. Depending on the product, those features always aren't necessary, but it looks like Sony did it right with bass management on the 'CE775. I would expect the ES models to be the same in this regard.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks