What's new

how's Lion King R2? (1 Viewer)

ethan_l

Stunt Coordinator
if I do get it, I wonder how it'll come out on the LVD 2001 which is suppose to be able to play PAL DVD's

also what well the 1.66:1 look on a 16:9 HDTV will I see black bars?

James Reader

Screenwriter
Normally I cannot tell the difference between PAL and NTSC images on live action films (but I do notice the pulldown on pans, but see this as a minor annoyance). However, I can immediately tell the difference in resolution on animated discs and to my mind, the PAL Lion King looks visibly superior to the NTSC.

Now, if your TV and/or Player is unable to output PAL transmissions, it's likely the PAL image will be converted to NTSC for viewing, in which case you'll loose all the benefits of the format (resolution, cleaner colour), but will be left with the negative of the format - PAL speedup.

If you are thinking of buying this for the DTS track, please remember that the 4% speedup will affect the pitch and timing of the soundtrack. Personally I don't notice this at all, even when playing PAL and NTSC back to back. I do not dispute that some people do though (but I do think the majority of the people who do notice place to high a priority on it).

As for the disc, both discs are the same as the R1 set, apart from additional language selections on initial "booting". The first disc also misses the "Making of the Circle of Stars Video" featurette. I personally think this was down to most of the "stars" having sod-all recognition in the UK rather than space issues.

As for black bars, yes you will see them - as well as possibly some down the side. It all depends on your tv's overscan. Any windowboxing should be small.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks