What's new

Howl's Moving Castle R2/Japan November 16th - Subtitles ? (1 Viewer)

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Just got news from another forum and three members have just checked their copies. They say the menus are fullscreen but the actual movie is anamorphic widescreen. By the way, I got this answer from DvdfromKorea:

"Thank you for your e-mail.
Please refer to the attached image and you will find that this DVD has 16:9 Anamorphic widescreen... We have received an e-mail from one of our customer on this matter, but it seems that he misunderstood this.....
Best Regards,
GW Yoon
DVDfromKOREA.com"

Just got another email from DvdfromKorea and they say they have tested the Limited Edition DVD several times using different tools and they came up with the same result, the menu is 4:3 but the movie is 16:9. So now I´m pretty sure that the movie actually is 16:9 anamorphic widescreen.

Yasuko_O

Auditioning
Hello,

I am using an account set up for my wife as I haven't got my password here on the home machine (I usually post from the office)...

If you are wondering who I am, well... I am a very embarassed and currently very very foolish feeling poster by the name of Tim Fleming;) It appears that my relatively new Samsung player was set-up for 4:3 P&S Display when it should have been 4:3 Letterbox Display. I am posting on my wife's newly established account as I really do not want DVDfromKorea to suffer any loss of business because of my postings and want to set the record straight as soon as possible, this being a New Years holiday weekend and all - this should not have to wait until next Tuesday.

I can now confirm that it is as advertised in 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen... it also has some excellent extras that do not apear on the Japanese LE, including an interview with Dianne Wynne Jones (the author of the book), an interview with the translator who did the English language version, and an item on the dubbing of the Korean language version. Also, as the people at DVDfromKorea were so helpful in assisting me to identify the problem I was encountering, I can wholly recommend them as a great store to deal with... their patience and very responsive, detailed customer service, and the fact that the DVD arrived in double quick time and was very well packaged certainly mean that I will deal with them again... if they will have me back, that is;)

The strange thing (and the reason that I had not picked up on the display setting problem before) is that this player has displayed countless other DVDs in their correct aspect ratio, including the Japanese release of Howl's Moving Castle, while being set to 4:3 P&S display.

Perhaps someone can explain to this simpleton how it is that the Korean Howl's Moving Castle (and I assume certain other DVDs), display full screen unless the Display setting is 4:3 Letterbox?

No prob Tim :) The reason that your player is pan&scanning the disc is because I believe when you author a disc you can give a point of reference for pan&scan display. So when your player is then set for pan&scan it will do it automaticly for you.

Not so much discs have this point of reference set, I believe Criterion's Last temptation of Christ also had that problem.

Anyway, I received mine region3 3disc and 2 disc edition this week. Both are anamorphic widescreen. (the movie, the extra's are 4:3). The movie has english subs, the extra's only have korean subs.

The 3 disc edition only has DTS, the 2 disc edition has 5.1 EX japan soundtrack, and a korean dolby 5.1 track.

and I must say the 3 discs looks gorgeous, recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks