'Howdy' all you SoCal / OC / Irvine / Newport Beach HTers - I'm headed your way!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Forum Meets' started by Nils Luehrmann, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

A quick introduction -

I've been involved in HT and CT (Commercial Theater/film) both as an insider as well as an enthusiast for the last fifteen years or so.

I'm originally from New England, but lived in San Francisco and the Bay Area from '76-'92. Since then I have been in Austin, Texas.

We have a fantastic HT/film community in Austin for which I have been pleased to be a small part of and will continue to be for years to come, but a recent project deployment will bring my family and I to your neck of the woods and will keep us here for at least the next few weeks/months. We are keeping our home in Austin, so there wont be any misunderstanding were are hearts are, but I would really like to meet some of my fellow HTers from SoCal and perhaps partake in some of your 'gatherings of the mind'.

I'll also be making a trip out there to scout for a home. If any of you have suggestions on possible locations I'd certainly love to hear from you. The job site will be in Irvine at 17838 Gillette Ave. (click for a map)

I'd like to have a place no more than 15 minutes from work and preferably along the ocean.

Thanks for whatever assistance you can offer, and I hope to meet some of you while I am there!

2. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

3. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Well that might still be within reason. Strange though as I was told the beach was less then ten miles from work.

Is the 25 minutes or more in travel time due to traffic congestion?

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Nils,

Here in L.A. and O.C. 10 miles could be 10 minutes with no traffic (like from midnight to 6am), or up to 30 minutes with traffic (during most times).

The area you'll be working at is pretty high real estate. My friends (two accountants) just bought a house in Huntington Beach (real near where you'll work and the beach, that might be the neighborhood you're looking for)--it's a nice house that I thought should be in the $300K area, but being in a nice area they paid $465K. [​IMG]

5. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

I wont be buying, but only interested in leasing/renting for the few weeks while we are there. It's good to know about the traffic situation ahead of time - thanks.

6. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Nils,

When will you be coming?

7. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Next week, but the company has a hotel room reserved for us JIK it takes a while to find adequate housing.

8. John A. Gordon

John A. Gordon Stunt Coordinator

JohnG
    Hey Nils, you have PM.

Great to hear you will have an extend visit to LA/Orange county area. Being a cinema and HT fan, you will have to make it a must to visit some of the finest commercial cinemas in the country. There is an on going thread here in meets section regarding the "Village Theatre." That will be a must for your visit, amoung others. And there just might be a home theater meet you can attend as well, [​IMG]

JohnG

9. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

John, thanks for the invites, and hopefully I'll be able to attend a few of them.

It now looks like the project is getting expanded and as such we will be staying in LA through the year. I guess this means I'll have to dig out my old windsurfing equipment out of storage. [​IMG]

10. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Anyone familiar with Promontory Point Villa Apartments?

(click here for a map)

Is this a nice area, and if so any tips on fun things to do in the area that would be toddler friendly? Restaurant suggestions would be great to! Thanks!

BTW: If you think there might be a better value/location please let me know! Thanks again.

11. John A. Gordon

John A. Gordon Stunt Coordinator

JohnG
    Nils,
    Your restaurant visit will have to include In-N-Out burgers and Claim Jumper. Be hungry when you go to CJ's.

JohnG

12. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    As far as I know, pretty much anything in Newport Beach is nice... probably the biggest crime you will have to deal with is Dennis Rodman's frequent parties at his beach house! It's probably also one of the most expensive places to live in Orange County, but your quality of life should be excellent.

Don't know that specific area, so I can't make any good activity recommendations, but I'll second both of the restaurant recommendations! [​IMG]

13. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

14. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Nils, you didn't even say "bye"[​IMG] I miss your knowledgable movie posts already. I'm trying to locate my old college buddy, Mike. He was CFO of Fluor Corp(HQ around Irvine) and they had a house up in Laguna Hills, then bought a condo around Newport. He then moved to the UK for another CFO job and I've lost track, but he may still have the Newport condo.
    BTW, I just received my new set of fab poker chips/oak case with pull-out trays - top shelf! So, when you come back, we'll have a game and grill fajitas. Be sure to have a good bottle of tequila close by in order to stave off the CA influence[​IMG] BTW, I really like the Newport/Laguna area and John Wayne airport is my fave.

Update: I think I located Mike. I looked up a phone number, dialed it and think I recognized his voice on the answering machine. It's on Coral Reef street in Newport Coast. Question is, did they retire early and are living there, and if not, would they rent the place out? I'll call again this evening to see if I can talk with him.

15. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Hank, I never did like goodbyes, but more importantly I'll be making several trips back to Austin during our stay in OC.

Congrats on the new chips, we will definitely have to break those in. It looks like I'll be able to make it to this Saturday's no-limit poker tournament, so I hope you will be able to make it after all.

If you are able to reach Mike that would be great. I also want get to you the access code to the house should you wish to use the theater or borrow DVDs. I'll call you Saturday morning.