What's new

Howards End DVD -- A Cool Experience (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
I love the movie Howards End, the best of the Merchant/Ivory works based on Forster. I didn't buy the original DVD, because I had heard that the quality was bad. That version is out of print, and can hardly be found anywhere.

A couple of weeks ago, I found a used copy of the VHS version of the movie, which I bought for $2. When I watched it, I realized that it was pan and scan, which gave me a headache. I decided to bite the bullet, and look for the original version of Howards End on DVD, perhaps on eBay.

I found a seller on Amazon, and paid $70 for an unwrapped copy. It arrived today.

What a surprise! It isn't the old version of the DVD at all, but a NEW version, newly mastered, part of the Merchant/Ivory collection put out by Criterion.

Huh? I never saw this in stores. When I opened the case, the disk says DISK 1. Huh? There is only one disk. (There are no special features).

It turns out that this edition was pulled from the shelves (sold only at Costco). There is to be a 2-disk edition sometime in 2005.

This is perhaps old news to those of you in the know, but it sure came as a big surprise (at a big cost) to me.

Still, I'm very pleased to have the re-mastered movie. And it was a fun experience buying it this way.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I absolutely love Howards End. It has such a wonderful mood throughout, I can't get enough of it. Thanks very much for the heads-up, as I had no idea a new edition was coming! :emoji_thumbsup:

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
DeeF,

Wow, that's quite a find. I had no idea this was coming out. What does the cover look like? Could you possibly post a scan of it? I always love seeing new criterion artwork.

Regards,
Nathan

DeeF

Screenwriter
The cover looks exactly like the other Merchant/Ivory collection covers -- it's white, with the title at the top in that cool, lowercase typeface, and the famous picture of Hopkins and Thompson.

It's only partly produced by Criterion -- the other partner is HVE.

Sorry, I don't have a scanner.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
How can I get a hold of this new disc? One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIES EVER and I just *MUST* have the latest and greatest 16x9 transfer!

The old Columbia DVD was "ok" but lacking in all fine detail...and I've seen this in the theater and *know* it can look better...

dave :)

DeeF

Screenwriter
David, the new 2-disk version of Howard's End is available everywhere. Try Amazon, DVDEmpire, etc.

My little 1-disk version was from last fall.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
all the better! :D

if I get time I'll do an A/B comparison of this new version to the former DVD (which I also have) and post at HTF...

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
That would be great if you could do that, David. I never bought the old disc so I admit I have nothing to compare it to, but nevertheless I think you'll be quite pleased with what you see. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks