What's new

Howard Stern fans, are you following him when he moves to Satelite? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I would really love to, I will miss him greatly in the mornings at work as he is largly responsable for getting me through the morning most times.

Unfortunatly though, even if I can get a satelite radio at work, I won't be able to listen to him because the profanity level is sure to increase. Howard desperatly wants out of his Viacom contract so he can move, but even he's not sure people will follow him, it's almost as if he doesn't realize how much people, his fans anyway, love hearing him in the mornings. They would follow him anywhere IMO.

I might just have to give up on hearing him anymore because as I said I can't get satelite at work, and getting it at home will be a waste because i'm never or rarely home when he's on. I suppose I could get it for the music but that's another topic.

Anyway, who's following him when he goes? And please, only Howard fans need apply, I realize how much people either love him or hate him and i'd like to minimize the thread crapping as much as possible, thanks.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I would eventually like to go to Satellite Radio, but Howard Stern is not the sole reason. He's not even really in the top 5 though I do listen once in awhile.

I just image the entire public radio market turning into the equivalent of 7th Heaven down the road. I am just looking for more than that personally.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Agreed. And Howard has said this very same thing, years ago in fact, he predicted that happening eventually. The whole public radio market is afraid of satellite radio, in fact Clearchannel is trying to get satellite radio standardized so that it too will be subjected to the same censorship that plagues Howard now. This understandably infuriates Howard because this push for satellte standardization didn't happen until he made his announcment that he was moving to satellite.

He feels, and I tend to believe him, that the people that run this whole thing hate him so much that they are pursuing and targeting him personally to try and get him off the radio entirely. It's just not right IMO, satellite radio should remain uncensored because people pay for the service, and also because each satellite radio has a feature built into it that can block out unwanted stations, similar to the v-chip in you tv.

If people don't like him, great, they can turn him off or block him out on their radio's, it's that simple.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
John, I remember reading Stern's morning show will be repeated later on in the day when he moves to satellite radio. Maybe to the drive home commute? And since he has a few stations, it would be perfect if he offered a censored version of his show for people in your situation. At least that way you would be able to cut back on the profanity.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Clearchannel represents everything wrong with this country right now. I cannot tell you how much I cannot stand that conglomorate. I am not the biggest Stern fan in the world, but I do enjoy him and would relish hearing him on satellight in his full, unadulterated, glory. But if Clearchannel has the power to stop this, I cannot believe how angry I will be and it will be the first issue I feel strongly enough about to write my congressman in anger.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I think going to Sattelite is going to destroy Howard Stern's carreer. I don't think that nearly as many people will actually plunk the money down to buy into his satellite show as he and his entourage of yes-men are counting on. I predict that, faced with dissapointing sales numbers, Sirius will go belly-up within two years after he moves. They will default on his contract in bankrupcy, and no-one will pick up his contract because of how publically he has burned his bridges with free broadcast radio. Or perhaps XM will pick him up for a while before they too fold. It's a simple matter of him believing his own hype and hubris. I don't see satellite radio as a long-term viable product.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'll follow, as long as he doesn't get seriously rude.

Right now I grab the shows from the web because I work nights, I download them to an MP3 player and listen all night.

IF Canada gets Sat radio I'll but in.

Brent

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks for the heads up, Greg. :emoji_thumbsup: However I don't think that will do either, I get home around 3:30 in the afternoon and I always have other things to do in the evening. I suppose I could record his broadcasts and listen later, but then I would have to set aside 4 hours somewhere.

To tell the truth, I like listening to him while I work, he keeps me laughing and entertained through my morning and i've become used to that, I don't necessarily want to lsten to him while i'm at home because I have other things to keep me occupied like dvd's or tv. I'm also not bothered by profanity, however at work I don't think it would fly with the boss. :) Unless of course they come out with a portable version that I could use with earphones, there's an idea that I think may be feasable.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
The Stern show has been a part of my routine for the past 20 years, though I only listen for several minutes each morning on the way to work, or maybe an hour when I'm off in the morning. So I'd miss that "background" to my morning, but no way in hell would I pay to hear him on the other station. Most of the best stuff I've ever heard on the show had nothing to do with bad language or off-putting material anyway. It's not needed.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, I believe that Howard has said that his personal manner of speaking won't really change as he's not a chronic potty mouth contrary to popular beliefe. That's when he's calm and happy though, I can't say when he get's angry and/or unhappy, which happens a lot. :)

He'll just be able to talk about topics which he can't talk about right now and his guests won't be limited to what they want to say, there will be lots of profanity.

It's going to be wild!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i agree. i've been a fan for about 15 years now, and i'm a little disappointed he is leaving radio. i've had many laughts thanks to howard, most of which have not been related to foul mouth humor. it doesnt bother me at all, but it's not what i listen to howard for.

CJ

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, talk about leaving in the middle of the game and taking your ball with you. If Clear Channel is so worried about Satellite Radio cutting into their profits, why don't they just launch their own service instead of pushing to have Satellite regulated.

As far as Stern goes, I think much of what he says is what he wants you to believe. I think that he is riding this whole thing to make himself a Martyr. The idea of this kind of regulation did not begin with his announcing a move to Sirius. If anything, it was Janet Jackson who started this insanity, but even before that, these types have tried to get things regulated. Remember a few years back, the big push to get the internet regulated, but it was deemed unconstitutional. I'm not saying that Stern announcing his move to Sirius didn't put a little bit more attention on Satellite radio, but it did not begin with him. Also, for whatever heat Stern is getting directly, I say he is partially to blame as he brought a lot of it on himself by essentially pulling a Lenny Bruce.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I likely will get Sirius when Howard makes the move (which means I'd have to swap my XM Pioneer car stereo). I would prefer to get "Conway and Steckler" (evenings on 97.1 in L.A.) instead, however, since I don't get them when I'm not in California. I absolutely love those guys.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Thank God he's moving. Not that I dislike him, but to me his show is stale & boring. Now maybe we'll have two real rock stations in Philly to choose from in the morning instead of just WMMR, which as of late blows too.

-Dave

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I don't think over-the-air radio is the least bit concerned with sattelite radio.

I thought I read that Clear Channel owns XM.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

No, they never owned XM, they have/had shares, but as far as I know, no control over XM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks