Howard Stern E Show Unncensored finally available, but its a complete ripoff

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Benson R, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I hope this is the right forum for this subject, I wasnt sure where this belongs.

People have been demanding to see some kind of release of the E show unncensored for awhile now, and Howard announced it on the show this week.

Select episodes are available as downloads.

1 part episodes are available to download for 5 bucks each. However once you play them you have started a 24 hr rental period.

There are a couple two part episodes available for 7 bucks for 24 hrs.

Howard had some bullshit excuse about how this was so much better then a best of dvd. But if he wanted he could make the individual episodes available for sale on dvd through mail order or the website. Hell he could print them on dvd-r.

These episodes are grossly overpriced. Even downloadable adult movie rentals(not that I have ever seen any[​IMG] ) are not this expensive.

At this price you could think he would at least let you have it for a week. Also I checked out the runtime for one of the two parters, and it was only 43 min. Plus I checked the file size and it was about 200 mb. Howard claims this is dvd quality, but I dont care how good the codec is, 200 mb is not dvd quality, plus you still can only see it on your computer.

I dont like to be a whiner, but I have been looking forward to being able to see some of the show on dvd for awhile now.

Hopefully everyone will let Howard know that this method of distribution (at least at this price) is unnacceptable.

2. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

You should post that on the bulletin board on his website. He has said that he reads it...

3. TedT

TedT Second Unit

It would be worth it if you could save it to your hard drive and convert it to DVD if you wanted to, but $5 for 24 hours is ridiculous!

4. Benson R

I tried to take a look at the bulletin board, but it says they currently are not registering new members.

I am more curious to see what the other fans say, then chime in that the pricing scheme is too expensive.

I'm sure loads of other people have already said the same.

And I really doubt that Howard gives a shit that I think its too expensive.

5. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Benson,

I think you are echoing the sentiments of many fans. That's probably why the shows are showing up elsewhere.

6. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

The place moves at 100 mph. You post a thread and by the time the forum page is loaded up, it's at the bottom of the page. He's fed up with the board now. He's trying to re-group and re-organize. If he can't, he'll just shut it down.
    SFN and KMS are better anyways so who cares?

Howard understands that 'best of' DVDs don't work so that's why he didn't go that route. I think he should have taken it to the next level and done uncensored season sets, but that's just me.

btw, while the video is uncensored, the audio isn't so it's kind of a false claim to call it uncensored.

7. WillG

WillG Producer

So, I wonder what caused this falling through..........

As far as these downloads go, even Blockbuster allows you to keep you rentals for at least 2 days.

8. Benson R

I just cant stand the bullshit from Howard anymore. I listened again today, and he was defending the pricing.

He continues to claim he barely makes a profit on this. I can believe that there are certain fixed costs, but if that is the case you should be able to get several episodes for 5 bucks for a much longer period of time.

It also makes me sick that he was ragging on Imus for pestering his listeners to buy his coffee and make contributions to his charity.

I can understand him accusing Imus of not being funny, but I think its crossing the line that Howard accuses Imus of using the contributions to the Imus Ranch to just build up his own house. Imus actually seems to be dedicated to his work with kids with cancer, and I doubt Howard has ever tried to do something as selfless.

I also disagree that best of dvd cannot work. I think its the only way to do this. There are too many episodes to put out season sets and there is only so much great material. If he really wants the fans to have complete episodes he can sell them through the website. Fans can order the episodes they want, and they can be printed on dvd-r and sent out by request.

9. R. Kay

R. Kay Second Unit

Pure and simple : Howard's motivation for many many years has always been money.

He's extremely wealthy, but its never enough ...

10. TedT

TedT Second Unit

Nothing wrong with that. If you don't like it or think it's done poorly or too expensive, then don't buy it.

I'm not buying it for the reasons I stated above.

11. Benson R

Someone mentioned that the audio is still censored.

That brings up the question is the only thing that was done was removing black bars and pixelation.

What I am getting at is besides pixelation often the show is edited in such a way that they cut away from the action to an extended reaction shot from the others in the studio.

In other words if someone is doing an obscene or obviously sexual act, the camera will just focus on Howards reaction then cut back when it is no longer happening.

12. paul_austin

paul_austin Second Unit

some people are never happy

13. Anthony Clifton

Anthony Clifton Stunt Coordinator

Exactly the opposite. Sounds like the people in this thread would have been happy with a Best Of DVD, which Howard repeatedly said was coming out. At best he could have put up a few uncensored episodes using BitTorrent and it would dramatically lessen the bandwidth cost. Within a week, take them down and let the fans distribute them amongst each other.

Any of the above may not have been the best approach but it's certainly better than a PPV model.

I had heard that he offered uncensored shows on his website but I didn't realize you had to pay for them until I read this thread. No thanks.

14. TedT

TedT Second Unit

Well to me it's not that you have to pay for it. I have no problem with that. The problem is that you can't KEEP it. By paying, you are only allowed to view them for 24 hours.

15. Benson R

I agree. I'd still rather have dvds, but I wouldnt mind paying 5 bucks for a couple of the episodes, if I could keep them.

And with digital rights management, it wouldnt be very hard to make it so the files could only be played on one machine.

16. WillG

WillG Producer

I think fans have a legitamate reason to be annoyed. Howard has been touting the E! uncensored DVD project for over a long time and now he recently tells us it falls through. He offers uncensored episoded on his site, fine. He charges a little bit of money, fair enough. But, to only have a 24 hour viewing window certainly is frustrating.

What is it with Howard anyway? There is a gold mine of material he could release on DVD but nothing ever happens. Where is the old WWOR show? Howard says WWOR won't release the tapes. Why, a release of that show would make plenty of money. That show would be like to Holy Grail to Howard's fans. What good is it doing sitting around? What about the other various things he claims to have been working on over the years? I am really starting to believe what some other posters are suggesting and that is that it is Howard himself that is blocking things or walking away because of money. We don't have any proof but we do know that Howard is consumed with money. Don't believe the hype with all the stories he tells about always picking up the check when he goes out to dinner with a group of people, or how he always ripped on Jackie for being cheap. Don't forget his giant ego which I'm sure is fueled by the points he can get for himself on various projects.

There's nothing wrong with a guy wanting to make money but when you already have a ton of it, would it be so difficult to settle for a little bit less to make tons of fans happy.

Of course, as I said, there is no proof of this, but it a claim that I would not disbelieve either.

17. paul_austin

paul_austin Second Unit

im dissapointed that they cant be kept but i totally understand Howards reasoning of putting stuff together as highlights diminished the impact because theres no build up....essentially a clip show...i think a dvd with just uncensored moments would have been boring...i think its a no win. theres no way all the e shows are going to be put out.

18. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

If it is how he says it is, then the station management might be embittered towards him or something like that.

19. Chuck West

Chuck West Stunt Coordinator

I think we'll see the DVDs of the E! show after Stern's contract expires and he "quits" radio. He'll want to make up for that lost income.

20. Benson R

I dont want to get into a whole argument about this, but the kids being forced to do manual labor was a bit Howard made up.

Imus is everybit the abrasive asshole that Howard is, but regardless of what you think of him his ranch is a positive thing for these kids.

I really think Howard has finally crossed a line by accusing Imus of abusing these kids.