What's new

Howard Shore/LOTR in concert -- Columbus, OH, late March -- HTF group trip/meet-up? (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Howard Shore's series of Lord of The Rings symphony concerts will come to Columbus, Ohio on March 26. I live in Ann Arbor, MI, about a 3-hour drive away (maybe a little more). I'm 100% psyched about going to see this, so I wanted to throw out a couple of possibilities for fellow HTFers in the area.

(1) Other people in Michigan, specifically the southeastern/Detroit area--how about a group trip? I'll volunteer to drive there and back, if others want to meet up at my place in Ann Arbor. This would save people on gas money, in addition to having some like-minded company along for the ride and for the concert.

(2) People coming from other directions, like from Columbus or elsewhere in Ohio: how about meeting up somewhere before the concert? It's at 8 PM on a Friday night, so maybe there could be a meeting for dinner somewhere?

I haven't purchased my ticket yet, so if anyone else in the area is up for this, let's try to coordinate things in this thread. Here's the link to buy tickets at the Columbus Symphony site:

http://www.columbussymphony.com/news...lordfriday.htm

I found about this at the main Howard Shore fan site, howardshore.com which is updating the list of concert dates. Here's how it stands as of the time of this posting:

• 2/23/04 - Montreal
• 3/26/04 - Columbus Symphony
• 5/23/04 - London Philharmonic
• 6/4/04 - Atlanta Symphony
• 6/5/04 - Atlanta Symphony
• 7/16/04 - Seattle Symphony
• 7/17/04 - Seattle Symphony

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads-up. I've eyed up the concerts but hadn't seen any near to me. I may end up going. But you don't want to carpool with me - I'm very unreliable about arriving ontime for trips - and I'm not sure if it's even affordable at this point. Have to think about it.

Benny G

Second Unit
!!!!!!!!!! This would be awesome. Does anyone have an idea of how quickly this will sell out?

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I don't know, Benny, I'll e-mail them. I doubt I'll have a chance to call them tomorrow, maybe Friday if I don't get an e-mail response. The contact info is at that link if you want to call them.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Just called the box office for the Columbus Symphony, and they have plenty of tickets available. They don't anticipate a sell-out before the date of the show.

So...people, a frickin' bone? Hello? Throw it to me? :D Seriously, this is a rare opportunity for fans of the LOTR scores. I hope at least a few other people will chime in soon, so that we can get something together. It doesn't look like it's going to be something that has to be planned this far in advance ticket-availability-wise, but if it's an out-of-town thing, like for me, then I figure it's worth putting down on the calendar relatively far in advance.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Columbus is only about a 3 hour drive from Indy so I might be up for it. I don't know how good the Columbus Symphony actually is (Cleveland and Cincinnati are majors) but it doesn't look like Indianapolis, Louisville, Chicago or St. Louis symphonies are on deck. Symphony seasons are usually planned 1-3 years in advance, Atlanta's too far away, so I might try to do this.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I've been to many CSO concerts, and you shouldn't be disappointed. I plan on going, but I'd like to find someone that goes to Miami that would like to go as well.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I am so desperate, if anyone is from the Cincinnati/Oxford area and is going, PLEASE CONTACT ME. I really, really, REALLY want to go, but I don't have a car.

I always thought that was BS, and it looks like it is. A little less than eight weeks until the concert, and three sections are sold out. Apparently, according to the CSO website, there's going to be an additional concert on Saturday, but the same three sections are shown as sold out, so I don't know what's going on.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the cheapest seats appear to be sold out. I just ordered one for mid-balcony.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
They fixed the page for Saturday, so it does look like they added another concert! WOOHOO!!!

Benny G

Second Unit
Are the Loge and Prime Balcony (and Prime Orchestra) that good? Does anyone know? If the seating or acoustics are a lot better, I'd be all for it.

I already ordered Front Balcony tickets for Friday, but I will call tomorrow and see if I can switch to Saturday to get better seats.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I think people choose the Loge for the best view, the Front Balcony because people are too lazy to call for the Prime Balcony, and the Rear Balcony is sold out because they're the cheapest tickets, and I believe the acoustics are the best up there. I'm not really sure what the appeal of the Prime Orchestra section is, except to be closer to the orchestra, but I would think they'd choose the Orchestra section instead. I'm not sure about that.

Benny G

Second Unit
Just called in and got my tickets changed from Front Balcony on Friday to Loge on Saturday. :D

(of course paid the difference)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Bumping this thread up, with the concert coming up in 5 or 6 days. I'm going on Friday night, and probably meeting a friend there before the show, but I figure it's worth one more look for anyone who might interested.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Well, that changes things for me, I'll have to go to that lecture/Q&A too! Thanks for posting that, Benny, I might have missed it otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks