How would YOU launch a console?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LawrenceK, Dec 1, 2001.

1. LawrenceK

LawrenceK Stunt Coordinator

Maybe this will be fun...let's assume you are in control of a huge company that wants to expand into the console arena when the next generation of hardware comes around. You want to throw lots of money behind this, but you have to allocate your funds in to categories to have a succesful system: Marketing, Hardware, Internal Game Development, 3rd Party Support, and Distribution. I would probably divide up my money like this:

Martketing - 15%

Hardware - 30%

Internal Game Development - 20%

3rd Party Support - 30%

Distribution - 5%

How would you divide up your funds and why?

2. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

40% Hookers

30% Booze

25% Lawyer Fees

5% Cigarettes For My Cell Mate Husband

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I'd make sure I had a Mario64 calibre game.

That's all.

4. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Sounds like somebody is doing a project for their MBA program. [​IMG]

5. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I prefer trebuchets to catapults.

Seriously. Microsoft is obviously going with the raw marketting aproach, unless you count Halo as internally developed (I don't). Sega tried with the Dreamcast to promote just teh games, and that sorta failed too. I think the best bet is to build a varied launch title set, with advertised games in the wings, make sure you have enough of the damn things, and then market the hell out of it. The actual hardware is only really important to the developers. Gamers just care if the game plays well and looks good.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    If its for the $$$ rather than to please gamers, i would do what sony did... spend a sh*tload on advertising (hmm, 70% ish), and the rest for the console (15%) and launch games (15%)...
    I mean, when it first came out, the PS2 was far from impressive.. the reason it did so well was because of the advertising. The launch games were fairly poor compared to now and the launch games for other systems (Soul Calibur for DC, Halo for Xbox, Rogue Leader for GCN) and compared to their games now...
    And the hardware is powerful, but still lacking, especailly in the textures...
    But hey, if i were selling a console, and soley wanted $, i'd do the same thing... [​IMG]

8. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I wouldn't say that Sony did so well on the Ps2 Launch because of the ads, but more because of the fact that it was the first new console to hit in a couple of years. Personally, I'd launch with everything behind the hardware and the 3rd party support. If MS wanted to win this war, the simple solution would be to start buying up the 3rd party companies (or at least getting them to develop exclusive for Xbox). If they were to buy, oh let's say Squaresoft, like they did bungie, success could be assured (although expensive)

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Nick-

The graphics on the PS2 might not be the best, but they're damn good and some games play as good as they look. Thats pretty good for a console, whether its the most powerful available or not. Granted, the launch games weren't great, but other than Rogue Leader/Luigi/Super Monkey Ball/WaveRace and Halo/DoA3/Munch, there's nothing much on other consoles for the next month. PS2 had a crapload of games at launch, and while a lot sucked, there were a few good ones, like SSX and Tekken Tag Tournament and TimeSplitters.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, the games now on the PS2 are much better than the launch games... And i do agree, the graphics are damn good right now, i was just saying when they launched it the games were below expectations...