What's new

How would you implement these grilles? (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Someone in the sub section posted a link to a speaker company called AAD. Their 2000 series speakers use a grille design I've never seen before and kind of like (won't hide a nice veneer finish but will still protect the drivers). How hard do you think it would be to mimic this design on a set of DIY speakers? What materials would you use?
http://www.aadsound.com/Products%20P...t%20page.html#

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Brass or copper tubing from a craft store and drill holes in a piece of wood mounted to the enclosure. Dap a drop of silicone in the holes so the tubes don't rattle.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Brass tubing could be very cool.

The only problem I see with silicone is then the grille becomes perminant. Could be a major headache if a driver goes or you want to make a change to the crossover.

Is there some sort of rubber insert avaiable you could put in the hole that the rods could then fit into? Any other suggestions for a rod material that might work?

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
i see what james is saying, but with his idea, add a set of those push in ball and socket grill attachments for the top and bottom of the grill assemblies. argg what are they called...PE has em.

Is there some sort of rubber insert avaiable you could put in the hole that the rods could then fit into?
how bout some rat shack grommets or some o-rings.

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
hey Dustin,
go over to www.sounddomain.com and look under "accessories" and then "installation accessories". look at what audiobahn and obcon has to offer. may or may not bee what your looking for. but they protect the subs without covering them.
i myself like the obcon ones, they look pretty cool.

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Should have explained better....sorry. I gave blood yesterday and a little light headed. I meant to express: silicone the tubes into the block of wood so they do not rattle. As mentioned, grill snaps on the top and bottom blocks to the enclosure would be a great option. Plus you would not have to remove each tube to access anything. Rare earth magnets (if not brass), velco (ugly IMO), screws (more ugly) or route a T-track into the enclosure and slide the whole assembly into place. I would do grill snaps. Or have a machine shop make the blocks out of metal, and use magnets. But could scratch.....OK grill snaps. Good luck. If you do not mind I may try this too. I never made grills for my speakers, and I like this idea. Thanks

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
It's not my idea, I stole it from AAD :p) I'm still at least 6-9 months from building new speakers, and a lot of things have to go right between now and then. When I do though, unless I find something I like better this is how I'm gonna do the grille.

I've got an idea in my head about how I would implement this, but I would have a rough time explaining it in print. If I ever get the chance to do, there will definately be pictures though.

If you do it soon though, please get pictures of the process and final product, I'd really like to see what you do.

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
.. and when you get bored using them as grilles, you can use them to chop eggs and cheese and such ;)

Cam S

Screenwriter
it's an interesting concept, and I will give it a try (in one form or another) with my first speaker box's, and will take pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks