How would you destroy a planet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianW, Jan 1, 2002.

1. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Sure, we’ve all seen it done in everything from Star Wars to Titan A.E. But, speculative Science Fiction and Fantasy aside, how would you go about it? Mind you, I’m not talking about just trashing the biosphere or ending human life. I’m talking about completely obliterating the planet by explosive or other high-energy means. (Completely melting the planet, for instance, is perfectly acceptable.)

For the purposes of this discussion, Earth will be our target, since we know it, and presumably its weaknesses, very well. Be advised, however, that whatever method you come up with, other planets may not be like Earth. So if you intend to go on a planet-killing spree, destructive techniques that take advantage of weaknesses like plate tectonics or molten cores are bound to fail when you come up against a planet that doesn’t fit the profile. Still, every journey must start with a single step, so if we can just figure out a way to destroy the Earth, then, technically, our spree will have begun.

So how do we do it? Here are the rules:

The Moon is our base of operation. It is assumed that any materials used to bring about the Earth’s destruction will be manufactured and on the Moon and delivered (if necessary) from the Moon’s surface.

Anything in the solar system (planets and asteroids, for instance) is fair game and available as a resource. (And, yes, the Moon itself is allowable as an expendable “resource” for our diabolical plans.) Keep in mind that such resources must be somehow commandeered from the Moon.

The Earth must be destroyed within a year after the plan is devised and set into motion. So no plans are allowed like spending the next 1000 years attaching solar sails to the planet Mercury and then watching it slam into Earth 10,000 years later.

No breaking the laws of physics as we currently understand them. Magic is not allowed.

The use of any exotic material that can actually exist is allowed. Remember, however, that any materials used will originate on the Moon and must be transported (if necessary) from there.

Energy, however, is neither free nor infinite. So while it is assumed that you have the means of manufacturing neutronium projectiles with the mass of mountain ranges (for instance), they won’t do you any good unless you devise a way to transport them out of the Moon’s gravity well and pummel them into the Earth. The methods of delivery must be achievable within the timeframe stipulated.

So how about it? Can we destroy a planet, or not?

2. Todd Christ

Todd Christ Stunt Coordinator

I'd put people on it...

3. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Buzz, it's actually now believed that tiny black holes are routinely created in particle accelerators, but that they evaporate through a phenomenon now known as Hawking Radiation. It's also believed that a black hole would have to have an event horizon the about same diameter as a proton to be heavy enough to feed rather than evaporate. Unfortunately, this would require the mass equivalent of about five fleets of battleships. If you can figure out a way to contain this tiny, but massive, black hole and deliver it from the Moon to the Earth, then your idea will be the first to succeed. (Todd's approach, while ultimately destructive, has been experimentally shown to require longer than a year to work. [​IMG])

4. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Here's some ideas just off the top of my head (keep in mind that this is simply a brainstorm and may or may not be capable, but may spark another idea or two).

1) Send a giant drilling machine to Earth that houses a huge nuclear bomb. Upon landing on earth the drill will make its way to the core. When it gets to the core it detonates and blows up the Earth from the inside.

2) Bump it out of orbit so it is sent hurtling towards the sun.

5. Todd Christ

Todd Christ Stunt Coordinator

6. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

7. Calvin Cullen

Calvin Cullen Stunt Coordinator

Turn the moon into a giant magnifying glass. Add sunlight. Enjoy.

8. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

Cheese. And lots of it.

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

How about building a laser on the moon and just pointing it towards the center of the moon? When you drilled through and the moon feel apart, the earth would get a new orbit, and the destabilation would probably cause it to destruct.

Glenn

10. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

In one of the science fiction books I read, ("the moon is a harsh mistress" I think) the moon colony was trying to break free of a repressive earth gov. they used a mass accelerator (think giant magnetic ring gun) to launch large tonnage inert projectiles at earth (they did not specify tonnage) on the principle that a large object going fast when it hits the ground makes a big bang, don't ask me the physics, just like a big meteor, I do not think you could obliterate the planet, but you could make it uninhabitable in a year

11. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

12. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

First I would take a giant "laser" and put it on the moon. When the moon reaches the proper lunar alignment, it will fire and destroy the earth. You see I will have turned the moon into what I like to call a "Death Star". The key to this project is the giant "laser". It was designed by the noted Cambridge physicist Dr. Parsons. Therefore we shall call it "The Alan Parsons Project"!

13. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

What about exploding the moon, creating a vast debris field that would continously smash into Earth (kinda like being inside a blender). Of course you would have to smash the moon first, but its only 1/3 the size of the earth and you're already sitting on it.

To destroy the moon, an extremely large thermonuclear device should do the trick; since the device does not have to be air deliverable, it could be enormous and utilize many boosting techniques to get a greater yield. The Russians built a 100 megaton air-deliverable weapon in the 50s or 60s. There should be no reason you could not develop a multi-gigaton weapon using available interstellar materials.

The blast should be on the far side of the moon, which should move it towards the earth. even if you do not destroy the moon, a sizeable chunk should cause a great deal of damage.

Feel free to steal my plan, question my physics, etc. Just an idea.

And theres always the Alan Parsons Project. And please, don't hump the laser.

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Plan A
    1) Declare global martial law
    2) Decree all movies must be released on VHS, P&S only (all LD, DVD hardware destroyed).
    3) Resultant exploding heads of HTF members would immolate earth.
    Plan B
    1) Expose Jack Briggs to Gamma radiation (a la Bruce Banner)
    2) Force Jack to destroy all copies of "2001" while shouting "Star Wars is the only true sci-fi!"
    3) Subsequent "Hulk" reaction would destroy most of mankind.
    Plan C
    1) Clone Ryan Wright
    2) Unleash army of RWCs (RyanWrightClones), in fleet of Fiero replicas, upon world.
    3) Mass chaos leads to breakdown of society, as every idiot on planet rushes to crash into RWCs
    [​IMG]

15. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

16. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

Can I use a total-mass-conversion bomb like in Jack Williamson's The Humanoids? Those suckers convert a variable amount of matter into energy, not just a handful of fissionable matter. You'd basically set the bomb to convert all matter within a certain radius. Convert a couple foot diameter sphere's worth of matter into energy, and you'd split a planet in two. BOMB!

17. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian

18. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

19. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hey any of you guys read Greg Bear's "The Forge of God"?
    Interesting premise: Self-replicating "von Neumann" machines enter the Solar System and land on Europa. They begin to consume Europa as material resources to build more powerful machines, and then head to Earth.
    I like the idea of creating intelligent (but not necessarily sentient) self-replicating robots to destroy the earth. They need to mine the Earth for materials in order to reproduce. If they can maintain the reproductive rate, it won't be long before the Earth is utterly consumed. If a machine takes a few hours to produce a clone of itself, than it'll only be a matter of months before the earth is gone. [​IMG]
    Okay okay, that in itself probably won't work. How about this:
    "Forge of God" of course has a much more complex scenario: Produce and send decoys who look like friendly aliens warning the Earthlings that a hostile race is coming to destroy them, and proceed to misinform the populace, causing the world leaders to divert resources into all the wrong places.
    In the meantime, send robots to produce simple H-bombs, lay them in the deep ocean trenches. Detonate them and force the Earth's crust to break up (makes it easier to blow apart the earth later on hehe). Meanwhile, you produce more H-bombs in the millions by using the Earth's oceans as a source of hydrogen. (Hydrogen bombs require less fissionable material than regular atom bombs...they use hydrogen isotopes...and are also far more devestating).
    So, you have self-replicating machines that can double their population every day or even every few hours, plus they in turn can build hydrogen bombs at the same rate. With all the hydrogen in the ocean and the radioactive materials on Earth (and a little in the moon I guess), you could do enough damage so that the Earth will rip apart under the forces of its own centrifugal force. Provided you know where to place the h-bombs to destabilize the mantle (make a surgical incision along the crust, circumnavigating the earth with a couple million h-bombs).
    No black holes required. [​IMG]
    Batteries included.

20. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Ryan Wright from Tri-Cities, WA, USA

had this to say...