How would you compare the anamorphic downconversion between Panasonic and Toshiba?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Coleman, Jul 29, 2002.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Wondering which you all might think is better?

David

2. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Your best bet is to get a 16:9 capable display and avoid anamorphic downconversion altogether! (Many of today's 27" and greater 4:3 direct view sets now include a 16:9 mode, so this is not as cost prohibitive as you might think. Heck, you can get a 53" 16:9 RPTV for around 2K!)

If you have to live with a 4:3 Beast, though, the acknowledged downconversion champ is Sony, followed by Panasonic, and then Toshiba.

3. Sujeet Patel

Sujeet Patel Stunt Coordinator

This is the first time I've ever heard of Sony brought up as a decent DVD player.. Can you point me to a particular model? I've got a Panasonic RP-82 coming (didn't like the Toshiba 4800 and returned it), but there's still time to cancel the order.
    I've got a 55" Toshiba HDTV (55H70), so I'm obviously not going to get rid of it anytime soon.. The newer models (53H71 and up) have an anamorphic squeeze function, but mine doesn't. [​IMG]

4. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I found the Sony's signature to be a litle soft for my taste. I do agree that Toshiba can be a little rough at times with the jaggies that it displays when downconverting. My choice would be for a Panasonic or Pioneer first, if I had to display this on a standard 4x3 monitor.

5. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

6. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Sujeet, I didn't think it was possible to make an HDTV-ready set without a 16x9 widescreen capability [​IMG] Seems like one wouldn't be able to officially label it as HDTV-ready.
    I'm also interested in the best or good downconversion dvd player. At the moment all I have is a Toshiba 27A40 analog 4:3 tv and a Toshiba SD2700 dvd player. It has worked fine for the past 13 months but we want to get a cheap dvd player for the basement workout room so my plan was to move each room up in rank (I also have a SD1600 in a living room - that is earmarked for the basement [​IMG] ). So, I'm looking for something that will do a better job with downconverting than the SD2700. Does anyone know if the SD4800 would do a better job even though it's still Toshiba? i.e. does it use different chipset than the lower end SD2700/SD2800 line?
    cheers,
    --tom

7. Michael St. Clair

8. Matt AFA

Matt AFA Extra

That and late Toshiba sets.

9. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

A couple of years ago (when I bought my Toshiba) most 4:3 HDTV's did not have an anamorphic squeeze mode. "Sad" though it may be, DVD's on these sets still look a billion times better than on analog TVs, due to the absence of visible scan lines. It certainly does behoove one, though, to pay close attention to one's DVD player's downconversion algorithm, since it has a huge impact on the resulting image, much more (IMHO) than the chroma bug, or flicker bug, or just about anything possibly including combing.

Past reports I've read indicate that indeed, an image scaled to 540p (which these TV's know how to properly squeeze) is by far the best solution, but as we all know the number of affordable solutions for generating 540p out of a DVD player is presently zero. I for one have given up waiting.

So now I'm down to either the new Sony or Panasonic players. A review of the Panny RP-56 in Sound and Vision said its downconversion was good but not as good as Sony. I guess at this point the only solution is to try them out side by side and pick between the softer Sony image vs. the sharper Panasonic image with more artifacts. Right now I've got a Toshiba 6200, which gives a *very* sharp picture with *horrendous* downconversion artifacts, so any of these newer players should be a huge improvement.